Is it normal for a 2 year old to snore?

My 2 year old son snores so loud! Over the weekend I had my family over and they were freaked out at how loud he snores. You can hear it from the other room and it sounds like an adult. Is this somewhat normal? Or should he get checked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also have a child that snores and I was told by my doctor that this was not something that was normal for`a child this age and that it could be a number of things. His happened to be allergies and was easily solved with a dose of Claritin everyday. We have been doing this for about 4 months now and the snoring has stopped. But you should really talk to your own doctor about it because there are other things it could also be.
    MommyofWaylen

Answer by MommyofWaylen at 11:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• My son did. He got his adnoids taken out and his snoring disappeared. So did his colds and allergies.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my dd had her tonsils and adenoids removed at 28 months b/c of this. snoring usually means that the airway is blocked, so its something that needs to be checked. the recovery for that type of surgery is much quicker (they kept my dd in the Ped ICU overnight just b/c of her age and the fact that they have to have anesthesia so they keep them overnight) she was released the next afternoon. took some pain killers for 2 days and was fine and eating normal again in about a week. (had to take her to the ER but that was only b/c she refused to take the meds and was in alot of pain so i took her in b/c it was after hours) if his speech is slower than other children, he stops breathing for any period of time (even a sec or so) in his sleep, he won't eat alot of heavier foods (meats, potatoes etc..) and he snores like that, i would def ask to see an eye, nose throat specialist. if they think the tonsils are the cause they will do CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• a sleep study to determine if they should come out now or if they should wait til he is 3 (which i was told is usually when they will do the surgery b/c of risks, however my dd's were so bad they did it immediately after the study, about a week later). as for the adenoids they can't tell if those have to be removed til they are in there removing the tonsils
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• lol my son snored like that since he was born and well my daughter snores too she is 9 weeks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My Granddaughter snored and it got worse. We had mentioned it to her peditrician and she didn't seem concerned but I was so I made an appointment with an Pediatric ENT and he said her tonsils were huge and suggested surgery. It made all the difference in the world. No snoring and her disposition improved dramatically. I might add it went from snoring to sleep apnea. She also tired easily. The doctor said when they sleep because it is like running a marathon all night. It took a few weeks before her sleeping was normal. Often if the problem isn't adressed when they are young, has to be done when they get older.
    tsjjpmds

Answer by tsjjpmds at 8:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2009