Toddler boys and private parts?

My LO has known for a long time that he has a "part", and I do mean A LONG time. He's almost 2 now and every time I change his diaper he thinks he has to touch it and he laughs. I have read that "it feels good" and you should not detract them from doing this because they may think that something is wrong with them. The older he gets the more it bothers me because it looks like it's erecting. At first I was like "Do they do that when they're cold?". Well, when he was born the hospital told us to point it downward when changing diapers to prevent peeing out the diaper. I have always done this and now when I do that he laughs. Geesh, it only takes a half a second, but he seems to find it funny. His daddy says that all boys do that but I need to hear stories from other moms of toddler boys. What is your experience with this kind of thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is normal, but I wouldn't go as far as the other Mom's telling him to go to his room to do that. The less attention you give him on this issue, the sooner he will stop (for about 10-12 years) LOL.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'm not a child psychologist, but I'd say that your child is perfectly normal! I remember my little brother acting similarly when he was really little and we'd change his diapers. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• yup, my two year old gets little baby stiffy's all the time... just part of having a boy! :)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• normal. i had a friend who's son would insist that after taking a shower or bath (shower w/daddy if it was a shower) that whoever had bathed him wait until he was "done feeling silly" and he would rub himself against the shower walls. they talked to the doctor the doctor said it was normal, and to tell him that they were leaving the room b/c that is a private thing, when he was done to go ahead and get out. he was about 3 when he started that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have two boys, my youngest is in diapers and I call it his ding ding. He tries to touch it too when he is peeing on his potty and pulls at it. I just try to distract him and tell him to point it down so he can pee. I don't worry about him touching it, he doesn't know any better. I think your little boy is just fine and I wouldn't worry, our youngest was getting erections when he was only a few weeks old and my husband even asked the pediatrician if that was normal! We were told it was.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have three boys and they all have done this repeatedly. Tonight I was pulling a long shirt on my almost three year old before he had unders on he yells "ha ha ha...that was funny on my peeper"!

I wouldn't worry about it. If he starts doing it other times then diaper changes, just tell him that those are his private parts and if he wants to touvh them he can only do it in his room.

No worries Momma he is very normal.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yep, completely normal. That was my son's favorite toy when he was a toddler. I just taught him that he needed to be in his room if he was going to play.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 1:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My 6 year old is not the least bit bashful. He came running to me before bathtime, laughing saying, "Mommy my wee wee is sticking up." I was mortified, not knowing exactly what to say except , "Hurry and get in the bath tub."
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• it's normal...my son is 2 and i've caught him a few times with his hand in his underwear messing with it...and when i ask him what he's doing he replys "playing with my ding dong".. ..one time he was n his room playing and he came up to me in the kitchen and said that "it" hurt so i went to see what was wrong and he had a stiffy, i asked him y it hurt and he told me he was pinching it...i dont encourage it but i cant tell him not to do it cause when i do he takes it as a joke as laughs and keeps on with it..lol
    Elizabeth_07

Answer by Elizabeth_07 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My son does it all the time, it's normal.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2009