my c-section incision will not heal!

I had a csection 5 weeks ago and am on my second round of antibiotics. My doc tells me I have a low-grade infection. I have 1 day left on this round of antibiotics and I still don't feel like its totally healed. I am getting really upset/nervous about this. Has anyone else had an issue like this? How did it turn out?? I'm so afraid they're going to have to open me back up...

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mine got really infected, it like exploded from the inside out. my doctor put me on antibiotics, i had to have an in home nurse come every other day for about a month or so, and it had to be cleaned out with saline water and those big long qtip things twice a day, and i had to wear a pad over it until it was completely healed. those long qtip things you could fit the whole thing inside my incision. i didnt competely heal until my daughter was about 8 months old. mine was really bad though but always talk to your doctor if youre worried. also had to have mine cartarized once it was pretty much healed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had something like that... a c section doesn't really heal for a while. I mean heal where you can do sit ups like crazy! it's been 19 months and I still have pain every now and then. Haven't been able to do a lot of working out either.
    I did have a low grade infection on mine.... it was pretty gross I thought and that is the only part of my scar you can really see. It wil get better, you only had this 5 weeks ago! I also had pain and thought there were going to have to go back in there but it does heal! I hope the meds took care of your infection and everything gets easier! GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• OP here- I am going to see my doc again on wednesday.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• YES and it was HORRIBLE...ugh, it makes me feel queasy just thinking about mine. I feel so sorry for you! I didn't have to have anyone come over, what happened with mine was I kept my staples much longer and then they used the steri-strips and then when I came back in to the office (two weeks later) when they were taking the staples out I had the same thing seemed like it exploded in the middle (kind of like a hematoma) and I bled quite a bit. Come to find out, I was allergic to the steri-strips which agravated my incision, which caused it to NOT heal properly and thus an infection...mine took a good eight weeks after that appointment to heal, and I had to wear a pad (mostly to catch fluid that was leaking...EW, sorry TMI) on it, it was so painful...I am so sorry you are going through this, I would not wish it on my enemies...if you are in pain, say so, and keep up on the antibiotics! Take it nice and easy...I am so sorry...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Definitely talk to him about another round of meds...

I had a friend whose incision opened up 3 days after she had her daughter, the night she came home from the hospital, and it was horribly infected. She had to have a machine hooked to her with a tube inside her incision for about a month afterwards that constantly drained puss and crud from her incision. IT didnt completely heal till her daughter was about 6-7 months old, and she is 1 now and still has sharp pains in it occasionaly. Her's was an extreeme case though. Talk to you Dr, and dont let them take you off the meds till you are satisfied and feel better, it can come back with avingence and it make is harder to get rid of if not completely gone when the meds stop.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My son is 10.5 months old and my incision still isn't to the point where I consider it healed. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I feel it...plus I can't even fathom the thought of trying to shave down there. I had an infection that took nearly 2 months and 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear up. I had swell and water retention so bad that I had pitted edema. It was terrible.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• C-Section incisions don't fully heal for at least a year. The infection on the other hand, should heal pretty soon. Ask your OB what else you can do to help the infection go away. I had a C-Section almost 3 months ago and it's nowhere near being fully healed.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes. I ended up in the hospital with a really bad infection 8 days after my c-section. I was given antibiotics through an IV for 3 days. They almost had to open the incision up and let it heal from the inside out, but luckily that didn't happen. It was a horrific exp. esp. cause i was bf'ing my dd and she had to stay in the hospital with me. They said if I hadn't come to the Er as soon as I did I would have ended up in the ICU. Have you asked him if you need an IV? You might need stronger meds. Once i left the hospital, after the 3 days of the IV, I was given some medications and I felt a lot better after about a week. I wasn't totally healed for the 6 weeks, like a regular c-section.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009