Question for Moms who didn't breastfeed

After you deliver a child, your body produces milk. What do you do if you decied not to use it? Breastfeeding isn't right for every Mommy and I have always wondered as a breastfeeder, what do you do when your milk comes in?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 12:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it dries up if its not used. it dries up quicker if you wear a tighter (sports type) bra all the time (even in sleep) and don't put any pressure on your breasts (sleep on your side or back). with my first it took about a week to dry up, with my second tried to breastfeed he wouldn't and i couldn't find a pump that would actually work for me so since i tried for about 2 weeks it took til about last week to totally dry up and not leak at random times. so it took about 5 weeks to dry up this time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I tried to breastfeed my middle child and it did not work out. However when i delivered a baby at 31 weeks i was unable to breastfeed her and i was not willing to pump so i just had to let my milk dry up if you dont stimulate it, it usually dries up in a week or so.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 12:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• They give you a shot to stop the milk production.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It just dries up. Doesn't hurt or nothing. I was told to wear a tight sports bra and it took 3 days for my milk to dry up.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• It dried up quick.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I tried to breastfeed for the first couple weeks and so when I became engorged maybe 4 days after delivery I pumped/fed it out and after that I never became engorged again and never leaked so it wasn't a problem. Even though now almost a year later I can still squeeze a few drops out.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• They don't give the shot anymore as far as I know. I am a breastfeeder, but most in my family are not and they simply were uncomfortable for a few days and then were fine. I am not sure if they still produced a little milk, but the engorgement went down after a couple days.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't think they give the shot anymore either, at least my doctors didn't because I asked for it. I guess it causes blood clots ...

I BF for 2 weeks, then pumped for 2 weeks, then decided to switch to FF. It hurt so bad to dry out. Luckily, IBProfin helped A LOT!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2009