Question about speaking in tongues?

Some of the people in the church when we pray they start talking in tongues, but I though when you talk in tongues it is meantto be interpreted? But during one service a woman spoke in tongues and it was interpreted by another woman. Is their a difference in what they are doing? It is kind of confusing me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is the way it is done. Why are you confused? One speaks in tongues, and another interprets the message. If there is no interpretation forthcoming, then it is out of place in that fellowship and to cease at once ...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If a person is lead by the Holy Spirit to give a message to the church through tongues then He will give the message to another to interpret. I have been to churches where the people prayed in tongues out loud and thought it was okay because they weren't giving a message but, I think that causes just as much confusion as the other. I pray in tongues myself but to God and in my private place with Him, or queitly where only God can hear me while in church.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 12:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I still don't know howI feel about the tongues being done in churches. God gifted his apostles with it cause they went to preach places where they didn't know the language. I don't see why it is done today.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was told I was speaking in tongues once, and I knew exactly what I was saying. But when the "interpretation" came, it was nothing like what I was saying. So, I don't believe that every episode of speaking in tongues is a genuine occurence.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

-------------------
    This is why modern-day "tongues" confuses me as well. There are two distinct gift of tongues in the Bible. The one is the actual miraculous aquirement of the knowledge of other languages to be able to witness to a person in their own language (which does not require an interpreter). The other is a God-language (the uninteligible babble). It seems like the concept of the two types has been melded into one in our modern day churches.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I believe in a closed-canon, meaning, I believe that God revealing himself in the form of prophecy or inspirational-speaking in that way ceased when the last Apostle died.

Why? The Bible is an unmatched tool in regards to knowing God. If someone speaks/is interpreted and it isn't supported by the Bible, I must assume that they are a false prophet. If they speak and it is supported by the Bible, what is the point? If I know enough about the Bible to know someone is speaking the word of God...what is the purpose of them revealing it in that way when it's in the Bible? IMHO, it is nothing but a distraction and the "clanging of bells" how Jesus described the Pharisees and their loud prayers. Being in the presence of someone speaking tongues has always made me feel sick to my stomach. Yeah, I know, that makes me a bad person. I've been told that more than once.

JMHO of course.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Because His Word is new every morning, the Bible is alive! One day you might read a scripture and it might not mean anything to you but, maybe a year later you read the same verse and all of a sudden It is speaking straight to your soul
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 1:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't believe in the babbling that is going on in many of the churches. People take 1 Corinthians 14:2 completely out of context. The Corinthian church was a melting pot of people from all over the Roman Empire. It was a seaport. There were slaves that were living there that were serving the Romans and the Greeks from all over the world. They converted many of them to Christianity. In the church, because it was a seaport people were standing up in the Corinthian services and were praying in remote languages that nobody present understood. They were unknown tongues (dialects) to those present. And so here Paul is chiding them for doing these things, for praising and testifying in languages those present do not understand. And that’s why in verse 9 he says, "…so likewise unless you utter by the tongue words easy to be understood how shall it be known what is spoken?"
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• http://www.ptm.org/uni/resources/ptmupdate/062909/3.html

Please read this--it may help shed a little light on the subject.
    Anonymous