What kind of chorse can I give my 7,6,4,2 year olds....I just cant get them to do anything..

I cant get the kids to do anything...they are in the mind set that they tell me what to do and what I say dont matter....like the have an opption to do what I tell them...It gets me so mad I cant even deal with it....exspally when my grandmother or mother are contedicing me everytime I turn around....I think that is what makes me more mad then anything for them to think that they have a right to undermind me with MY children....Its gotin so bad I dont even want my mom or grandma to come over....I love them to death but I'm the mom...and they need to relize that or just leave us alone.....My moms the worst she thinks she is intile to my kids....and she not....like she has a right to have her nose in everything....ahhhhh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• the 4, 6, && 7 year olds are perfectly old enough to clean their own rooms. They can also run a vacuum cleaner && help straighten up the living room. I wouldn't let them wash dishes yet, just b/c I'm really picky, but they should definitely be rinsing their own plates off before they put them in the sink. As fas as the 2 year old, my son is 22 mos && he is perfectly capable of helping me pick his toys up out of the living room && taking them to his room && picking up the toys out of his bedroom floor && putting them in his toy box.

As far as grandma && great grandma go, you've got to put your foot down. They are going to be pissed at you, there is no doubt about that, but they WILL learn to respect you.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• oh && my advice for you on the kids, give them their little list of chores && everytime they don't do something take something away [[video games, tv time, play-time, etc.]].
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• All I can think of is when your at the grocery store...park your cart in the mioddle of each isle, have the kids follow you, get them thinking about the foods you are looking at then hand over the foods, like cans and boxed food, whatever, and tell them to run to put it in the cart.
    You can give them moist rags and have them wipe things down, turn the tv off until they are done.
    I don't really know..I figure as me being the stay at home mom...my job is to do the chores....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• 2 yr old - picks up toys (their toys - and only from, say, the living area - and puts them in a basket- their own basket) that's not too much and amazing they seem to like the game.

4 yr old - picks up their own toys, lines up their own shoes, and helps you make beds ; stacking pillows while you take them off the bed, hand them back as you put them back on the bed. Picks up toys in and around bathtub . Help change liners in bathroom trash cans, and help sort laundry ( my little ones loved the Washing Color game - "Bring Mommy all of sister's blue shirts".

6 yr old - helps set the table at dinner. Cleans their own room (or all their own stuff/side of the room), washes bathroom counter tops, uses the vacuum wand to suck all the cracks by the walls (they seem to love that for some reason)

7 yr old - same as 6 year old but add vacuum bedroom, dusting end tables, dusting baseboards, pick up all trash from the whole house.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The older ones could also gather the trash (from the bathrooms, living room, play room etc.) and take it outside. I agree with the dusting, cleaning their rooms, gathering laundry, etc. I am a SAHM also and it is my job to clean the house, it is also my job to see that my kids have some responsibility. They will never order me around, because I'M THE MOM, that's why. My mother, thankfully believes that and does not interfere, my grandmother (God rest her soul) tries, but I finally convinced her I was the Mom.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would suspend visits for at least a month as well as severely limit TV (my children's behavior deteriorates when they watch too much TV).

And here is a chore chart.
    http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/chart2.asp

Being a stay at home mom is NOT a stay at home MAID. Children need to learn to take care of the home as well.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You will have much better success with chldren the age of yours if you will ask them to help you do what needs to be done rather than assigning them jobs and expecting them to do them on their own. Children are easily diverted and their attention spans are very short. Also, they have to learn how to do what needs to be done and they learn best by observing how you do it. Besides that, it is a wonderful way to have some one-on-one time with each child, which they so desperately need. As for your mom--I think she probably sees that your children do not respect your authority. That is also something that you will have to teach them. They should be taught that they are to obey you instantly. You tell them once and only once. If they do not obey, they should be immediately disciplined for not respecting your authority. That is best done by spanking and an explanation that you are the person in charge and obedience is basic
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am a WAHM, and my 3 boys (12, 10,3) have chores. The older ones are in charge of taking the dirty laundry downstairs. I wash and fold it, they put their own away. They are in charge of making their beds, and picking up their things. They take the garbage and recycles out. They help pick up the livingroom (and help with the 3yr olds toys), and sometimes sweep the floors--if they are in the mood.
    My 3 yr old 'helps' make his bed, he likes to help me load/unload the dishwasher, he likes to help take the recycles out, he does not like to pick up his toys--- but I keep at him to at least help pick them up.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The first rule of parenting is to be consistent with discipline and rewards. You assign chores: either they do them and don't get punished, they do them and get rewarded, they don't do them and get punished.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009