my sis n law nearly drowned my neice

She left my 10 month old neice alone in the garden tub that was way to full with her 2 yr old sister! she walked away and when she came back she was blue and not breathing! she gave her cpr and hit her on the back and that saved her life so i guess i should be thankful for that! but my question is she came over today and it was hard for me to face her how do i forgive her? she feels terrible about it but she is also bi polar and fruity sometimes! i just found it very hard to make conversation with her when i feel so crappy towards her! is it wrong for me to feel this way about her???? or towards her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ok, this was her own child right, not yours? You are entitled to your feelings, but that is about it. I know it would be hard to stand by and watch a fruit loop raise kids and put them in dangerous situations. If you fear for her children, then call and report her, there are rarely second chances when it comes to drownings. I would make a call before one of her children turns up dead.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If she is "fruity" why did you leave your kids with her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• omg, a 2 year old is NOT a sufficient chaperone to anyone, in fact she shouldn't even have left the 2 year old alone. What was so important that she had to walk away?? I would be very angry with her as well, she shouldn't have been so irresponsible. Being bi-polar is not an excuse, she should be on medication for that. I would just give it some time. Eventually you will be able to forgive her, but what if she hadn't come back when she did?? You would have one less niece!! I would definitely tell her what I thought of the situation. It might be mean or whatever, but I would rather her be mad at me than to attend the funeral of my 10 month old niece.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh, hon!

I'm so grateful your baby is okay. You have every right to be angry....I think I would have taken her head off!
    She may feel bad about it, but the deed was done. Don't allow her alone with your child again.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• say The Lord's Prayer- remember but by God's grace go us. Just be thankful she is okay, do not make her feal any worse but privately never leave children with her. She needs to be accepted and not gossiped about love her! She is a new sister be glad you have her but help her b4 this happens to her very own child? talk about safety but do not be mean she did save her life!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Get her a good book on child safety! look on amazon
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Romans8:28 I am so happy the baby is okay!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• you guys aren't reading the question correctly.

The OP didn't leave HER child with the SIL. It was the SILs own child, the OP's niece.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would have a serious heart-to-heart with her. Being bipolar is NOT a reasonable excuse. Most bipolar parents would have more common sense than that! But other pre-existing conditions might affect her judgement. Is she heavily medicated? Can you speak with your brother about your concerns? I was diagnosed with bipolar, and never would I entrust my 10 month old to a 2 year old's care!!! Thats outrageous. You have every right to feel the way you do towards her.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am a bipolar mother and I have NEVER wandered off and left either of my children in a dangerous place. I hate to say it but shes just a idiot. Talk to you brother, she is a danger to the kids this time she was lucky, Next time she may not be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2009