Does anyone else think Harry Potter is sort of evil?

Again this is not about religion im just asking would you let your 7 yr watch it all the time? I know someone who lets their kid watch it and he has just become obsessed especially with the spells and stuff its just getting weird...the next one looks very scary this should be for adults not children...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that Harry Potter is just a movie. There is nothing wrong with a 7 year old watch it. There are alot worse movies that a child could watch.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No I do not let my children watch Harry Potter.
    Dmajsmommy9396

Answer by Dmajsmommy9396 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would not let my children watch Harry Potter, I wont watch it myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes my kids watch Harry Potter. They watch each movie all of one time. They like the story, but they aren't overly obsessed with it. I haven't watched the last 2 movies because they've been a bit "darker" but I don't see anything wrong with it. My boys are 10 and 12 and have grown up watching Harry Potter lol. We used to go to the drive in to see them, the first 3 that came out anyway.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I won't let my son watch or read Harry Potter. Yes, I'm one of THOSE moms
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I LOVE Harry Potter, but my DD is too young. But i will let her watch the first three....maybe when she's 7...or earlier if i think she can handle it. The others....prob not till later just because all the death and the "eeriness" that could be scary to a child. I do not think HP is evil though.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I Love Harry Potter and all my kids have seen it it's really no scarier than some of the Disney movies

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I like the stories and my kids all watch the movies, read the books and listen to the story on tape. It is just a story. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I LOVE the Harry Potter series! I remember reading the first book when I was 12, and then buying the final book on opening night at age 20...it was a great series to grow up with.

I think the series is better for older children, about 10+.

I don't understand the parents who ban the book from their kids. The books don't promote pagan witchcraft or wiccan rituals...it's fantasy and it's fun. And chalk-full of positive messages and role models.

As for the kid being "obsessed" with the spells--again, it's not a weird cult thing. He's just latched onto something he finds interesting. Imagination and fantasy are fun to children.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I love Harry Potter. Good people, people making hard decisions when there are easier choices but the harder one is right, the idea that we should love one another - all abound in these series. People who deny their kids these books based on the "witchcraft" are foolish. That is not the point of the series.

However, I will not be letting my kids watch them just yet. The movies can be scary for little kids. By the time they are 10, I won't have a problem with it.

OP, I think the kid you are describing is just caught up in a world that is fascinating. Not really something to be stressing about. The 6th book is kind of scary, and it looks like the director has captured that well. At least, I hope so! I am not sure I would let my 7 yo watch it, but it would depend on the kid.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 4:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2009