How long should I wait to transplant seeds I started inside?

I usually don't start seeds inside but we've had so much rain and I didn't want them to rot. How long do you usually wait before planting them outside. They all need full sun so now that the rain is slowed down I just moved the pots to the front steps because the sprouts seem too small to transplant right now.

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 7:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Good idea to "harden them off."- which means get them used to harsher conditions than sitting inside. Do this for a couple days, then go ahead and plant. I avoid planting in hot sun, But planting at night in the damp isn't so good either. So I usually end up planting late afternoon, watering well, then watering well again next morning, and if it is sunny and hot, watering again late afternoon, until the plants are established. It depends how big your seedlings are. If they are bigger than that first little leaflet that comes from the seed, then chances are they are ready. You could try a few to see. If you let them go too long, then transplanting gets too traumatic. So you want them young but not too fragile.

Answer by Bmat at 8:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2009