contractions- labor question

Hello, I am in my 38th week of pregnancy with my third. I woke up this morning multiple times because I was cramping. it feels just like period cramps. I wonder if they are contractions, but they are not going away. it is a fairly steady pain. I took a shower and am drinking a glass of water right now and the pain is still here, showers always worked for my BH contractions.

Has anyone else been through this where the contractions just felt like one super long cramp? is now a good time to bug my doc with this question or should I give it more time? the pain is not unbearable, and untimable.

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• omg..Im 39 weeks on my 3rd too, inducred the other 2. and Id say for almost 2 weeks off and on Ive been having this period cramping for hours at a time and some back pain. It was happening at my last doctors appt. too, and they checked me..and nothing was happening. He just said my body was getting ready. I didnt think it was labor but was hoping for pre..I guess we have to wait for the contractions! With any pain, call your doctor anyway, then you wont worry so much. Now that Ive been to the doctors, I just accepted this is my life until my special guy arrives...good luck!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I should also mention that my previous two were induced, so I have never gone into labor on my own and really don't know what it will feel like when I do.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I did feel this way in the very early stages of my labor with all 3 of my kids. With #1 my sister said, "You are in labor dummy." I did not believe her until it really began a few hours later. Either way, watch yourself, and try to get into your OBGYN today to alleviate your concerns/worries.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Its most likely the beginning of labor. Watch for a blood streaked discharge. Thats bloody show.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Ok thanks ladies, here is my update, I did go to the doctorto be checked. I am a little unusual because I had a LEEP procedure done a couple of years ago (the tip of my cervix was 'cut' off with an electrically charged loop) anyway, I actually am only 1 cm dilated but I am 100% effaced. The Leep procedure has left behind a band of scar tissue which is keeping my cervix from being dilated enought o send me to the hospital. doc says were it not for the scars I would be about 4 cm dilated.
    The cramps have gone away but another good hour or two of contractions will probably break through the scar tissue so she would not be surprised if I did have the baby this week.

BUT, the scar tissue may not break on it's own and I may have to wait until my 39th week (next monday) for the doc to induce and then he would have to break the scar tissue for me)

so...sigh... I am still waiting
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 11:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'm glad you updated us. Good luck!!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2009