I'M BACK WITH ANOTHER QUESTION....

MY DAUGHTER JUST TURNED 3 AND SHE'S STILL MUMBLING OVER WORDS.. SHE DOESN'T MAKE FULL SENTENCES.. YOU CAN UNDERSTAND HER SOMETIMES... I MEAN SHE'S INCREDIBLY SMART AND KNOWS HER ABC'S, NUMBERS, ETC.. BUT HER SPEECH IS NOT QUITE THERE... ON THE OTHER HAND MY 18 MONTH OLD IS SPEAKING VERY CLEARLY AND YOU CAN UNDERSTAND 100%.. SO THE QUESTION IS, IS IT THAT I DIDN'T WORK WITH HER ENOUGH OR IS IT SHE WILL TALK MORE WHEN SHE'S READY????

momof2girls0412

Asked by momof2girls0412 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd is in speech therapy and I can tell you, its NOTHING you did wrong.

If you feel concerned enough about it, mention it to her pedicatrician, they can direct you to some speech therapists for an evaluation and they can tell you how behind her speech skills are or are not.

Then, if needed they will make a learning plan for her and begin working with her. The best part about this, is that MANY of these intervention programs are state funded, meaning FREE for you!

She may just be a bit delayed....and would come along in time anyways, but a evaluation and some speech therapists would be helpful in figuring this out.

;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with PP, I have two friends that have children in Speech therapy for 2 very diffrent reasons and ages. It isn't your fault, but help now before it is an issue.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• This just goes to show that each child is very different. Its not that ur DD isnt smart maybe shes just not ready for it quit yet. When she gets to K if shes still lacking slightly in the speech department then I'm sure ur school will have a speech thereapy program, mine did when I was young & I went for the first year or two. Its just a teach who pulls u out of class for a small amount of time here & there & just works w/ u on speaking, nothing big.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I work with preschooler's with special needs and speech delay's are one of them. First let me say that your three year old should be speaking in full sentences and understood by you and people she is around. If you have not already done so, please look into having her evaluated by a speech therapist to determine whether she qualifies for speech therapy services. I don't know if you have a place to take her for private therapy or if your school system has services for preschool aged children, but please check into it.
    Secondly, no it is nothing you have done! I would ask your pediatrician about it and I also wonder if your daughter has had many ear infections or fluid in her ear. Sometimes children do not show signs that they have fluid in their middle ear, but if she has had fluid or infection often, she has probably been missing much of the speech models that you and others in her life have been communicating. (cont
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Your speech would be distorted and sound like someone talking under water. This could be the reason that her speech is delayed or not clear to listeners. The earlier you address her speech, the better. Let us know what you find out!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my 2 yr old son went to speech therapy because i felt he was talking enough compared to his sister at that age who spoke very clearly in complete sentences...anyways he was tested by the therapist & i was told he is average & did not need therapy at this time. they also tested his ears, eyes, etc. i think you should still get him looked at just in case...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Have her hearing checked and if that is ok then see a speach therapist. We had to put our son in a special preschool at the local University when he wasn't talking at age 2.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009