rear face vs front face.. and why?

ok i asked this before and got bashed to all freaking high heaven! im curious as to why some people face forward before a year? fussy baby really big baby/long/weight? im not bashing im just honestly curious of the reasons that some of you do.. i dont care if you do or if you dont if its right or wrong.. im just CURIOUS!!
have a wonderful monday

preggoinmn

Asked by preggoinmn at 9:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend did. She honestly didn't know the rule. She thought it was OR not AND so switched her daughter at 10.5 months and 20 lbs.

I had a coworker who switched hers very early becuase he would scream bloody murder when he was in the car seat. In her mind, it was better to have him sitting up right and quite rather than screaming and freaking out rear facing. What's better? I don't know. THe noise distratcs the driver and can be dangerous. So you just have to weight the options.

I think it usually falls somewhere between these two. Either poor eduction on the subject matter or huge distraction to the driver so trying to appeas the child. Sure, a child is saf*er* rear facing, they are still saf*er* in a car seat forwardind facing rather than no car seat at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• r u talking bout carseats?? idk but if so its safer to have them face the rear they wont have so much pull and they wont get glass shattered in their face
    donnamae19

Answer by donnamae19 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• oh i thought you were asking whether or not you should ff before a year old... Big heck no... but it seems you know this... The ONLY reason you should turn before one year is if they reach the maximum rear facing weight on the highest rated seat (i think currently it is 40# on the myride as far as US made seats are concerned) and even then it is illegal because your child is not one. And how often do you see a 40# one year old
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 9:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I kept my DD rear facing until she was one however, I had some issues w/ it. My DD screamed bloody murder as well & would spend a car ride throwing up all over herself, I used to have to line the seat w/ a blanket & bring several pairs of clothing for her. Also my DD was in the 100% of her height & weight so her feet were touching the back of the seat, I would have to take off any shoes so she could move her feet. Once we put her forward all problems were solved she played nicely in her seat & never threw up again or screamed agin.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There are people who think Rfing is silly after 20lbs, not sure how 20lbs is the magic number or even a year but I know that is the reasoning I have heard from many many people. I have bought more than one friend a cosco scenera because they were FFing their infant carrier because they seemed to think once the child was over the weight for the seat it could be used FFing...ugh...manuals people, they come with directions why not read them?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• 18.5 lbs (1 year) because when she was rear facing she'd throw up from car sickness, even just to go to the grocery store. It was impossible to go anywhere. So she was switched.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• When my oldest was a baby i ff her before she turned a yr i didnt know much about rf and didnt know they had to be rf till they were 1 yr. With my second i already knew and she stayed rf till she was 18 months, with my 3rd dd she just recently got turned ff she is almost 3 in july and my son who is about to be 7 months will be rf till he reaches the weight limit.

I huess most the time its just not knowing like me
    mommyto3girlies

Answer by mommyto3girlies at 5:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2009