Day cares and medicine

I found out that my day care is no longer required by the state to administer medeicines to their kids. So they are no longer going to do it. Anyone else's day care doing this? They said they'd make an exepction for breathing treatments and that most antibiotics are only 2x a day. But what if it's not? Uggg. Is it just Florida or are other states going to do this? Already doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Haven't heard about that. Our daycare administers medicine so long as we provide them the written authorization. Not having had to authorize anything stronger than sunscreen lately, I don't know if they have any restrictions on the types of medication they are willing to administer. I live in WA state.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I live in MN and they only will administer meds (even tylenol) with a doctor's written notice and that notice expires every three days. Unless they are on some long term meds, but I sure that requires a monthly notice from the doctor. My dd has an api pen and I have to get a new notice every year for that. They won't even put sunscreen on my kids unless I give them permission too. And that is totally ok with me. I don't need people medicating my kids. Mind you though, I am only 5 minutes away at any given time so it really isn't necessary unless my dd is having an allergic reaction and they know the procedure for that.
    If she gets stung, they call the ambulance, me, then my mother (because she is already at the hospital) They are only allowed to use the pen if my dd has stopped breathing. And we don't know if that will ever happen.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I ive in Wisconsin and daycares and schools administer meds only with a doctor's signed authorization. Daycares in Wisconsin have to have permission to administer lip balm, coughdrops and sunscreen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• This has been the law in Illinois for many years.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009