How can I get my one year old to stop screaming when he doesn't get his way?

My one year old has this annoying high pitched scream when he is angry or doesn't get his way. I can't even take him to church because he does it everytime. It drives me crazy. Do I just ignore him, is he too young for time outs? I have three other children and I have never had this problem. Suggestions anyone

Shawneemomof4

Asked by Shawneemomof4 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No he is not too young for timeouts. I have a 1yo and they work for him. When he starts screaming tell him to stop or he is going to go in timeout. If he doesnt then take him where ever youwant his timeout to be. For the first couple of times you might have to sit down with him in your lap and hold him there. Dont talk to him or anything just hold him down for 1 minute. Then When timeout is over with explain to him what he did wrong. It works like a charm with my kids.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Start implementing time outs, he'll understand. All you can do is stick to your guns. Tell him not to scream that it is not ok, then take him somewhere to put him in a time out and don't respond to him. Definitely do not give in, this is a power struggle with him. He'll stop, just be patient and try to ignore it. If you are imbarassed and are in public just take him where nobody else is. Sometimes you just have to leave. I have heard from many of my friends that they have just left in the middle of grocery shopping with full carts. Take him out to the car, set him in his car seat(buckled in), have a conversation about it, then shut the doors and stand outside to unwind a little for a few minutes. I think everybody goes through these power struggles at some point in time so don't feel alone. As long as you show them that you mean business and you're not giving in, they will realize that it's not working and it will stop.
    Anonymous