what is the best way to ween your one year old off the bottle?

kelliekailei

Asked by kelliekailei at 9:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just told my son that big boys use cups ... and we went to walmart and i gave him 20$ to pick out as many cups as he wanted or thought he needed , he found ones w/ trucks and a green one lol ... than we came home and i told him he cant have both so he had to pick be a baby or a big boy ... and he put all his bottles in his walmart bag and we went to goodwill (on his own! he wanted to donate them hisself, i thought hed throw em away but nope!!!) ... that helped us , not sure its the RIGHT way , but it did it for him
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Originally, DD would get a bottle after every meal and at bedtime. What I did was started to dilute the formula down little by little with whole milk and then, when she was down to just milk, one day give her a sippy with milk in it instead of a bottle. Held off longest for her bedtime bottle, but switched it with a sippy and small snack and she did fine. We had no problems. Good luck!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Get you child to start ussing a sippy cup or regular cup first. Then throw the bottles in the trash.
    After toddlers start eating 3 meals a day. They do not need a bottle.

Answer by louise2 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We started with just giving him a bottle at sleep times and giving him the sippy cup the rest of the time. Then we went to just bed time bottles and then we went to no bottles at all. He would occasionally whine for a bottle but I would just tell him no, big boys don't need bottles and give him a sippy and he was good to go.
    sarbar

Answer by sarbar at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Take the bottle away and be done with it. He'll figure out how to use a sippy or straw quick enough.

And if he's already using a sippy at all, there's no reason he should still be on a bottle.

OH, using a bottle has absolutely nothing to do with how many meals a day a toddler is eating. Any liquid that goes in a bottle can go in a sippy or straw cup just as well.
    Anonymous

• my son was introduced to the sippy during the day at 10 months, and the night b4 my son turned 1 i took all his bottles away completely...the next day gave him his sippy cup, and told him he was a big boy now and never mentioned the bottle again..my sister did the same with her 3 boys, i get most of my advice from her and so far it all works...good luck
    Elizabeth_07

Answer by Elizabeth_07 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009