5 Month olds still eating every 2 hours??

I care for my 5 month old twin nephews during the week. They are of average weight and size even being 5 weeks early. They are hitting all their milestones on time as well. But they are still eating every 2 hours, on the dot! They both eat 8 oz at each feeding. My sister is nursing them at home, and they get formula over here. But it doesn't matter if its breast milk or formula they still are eating every 2 hours. Is this normal?? When should they start to space out their feedings?? Oh and my sister started to introduce cereal into their diet, but they still are eating at 2 hour intervals. Thank you for reading.

Underwoodwife

Asked by Underwoodwife at 9:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids were the same way. Once they start eating baby food they will be able to go longer without nursing or formula.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My first baby ate every 1.5 hours during the day at that age. My second ate every 2 hours at that age until around 8 months old.

Cereal is more of a way to get them iron and to intrude the idea of spoon feeding. It's a myth that cereal stays with them and stretches their feedings out. My kids don't stretch out feedings past 2 hours until they really start to eat a lot of solids (10 months old for my first and 8 months for my second).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. She was really thin and didnt look like she ate that much. It didnt matter what I gave her breast milk, formula, cereal, or baby food it was still every 2-3 hours even at night.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Hannah is almost 7 months now and she eats every two hours as well. Charlie on formula/breastmilk combo ate I'd say every 2-3 hours until he was about 11 months and eating table foods.
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 11:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My son is 9 months and he still eats about every 90 minutes or so.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 1:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2009