A Question on Peas! Please!

My DD is having her first Garden! As a new Newlywed! On Peas. Do you let them grow up something or lay on the ground? What is Best? I'm Sorry I don't know what kind they are! But I know my Smart CM Freinds here will know! Thank you most Kindly in advance for good Tips!!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• you train them to grow up something it will help keep bugs off them..i just put up to poles tied some rope on it to make it look kinda like a ladder and trained them to grow up that you have to tie them up to start but it does work well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• you can either train them up on something temporary like string or bamboo poles you take down every fall. or construct a wire or wooden trellis that looks good in the yard. if you grow peas in the spring in the middle of the trellis and clematis or flowering vines on the edges throughout the summer it will serve two purposes and always be pretty.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes, train them. Lying on the ground encourages bugs and disease. There are bush peas though- peas that only grow about a foot from the ground, these don't need to climb, and they can also be trained to grow on corn stalks - so you get two crops in the same area and by the time the corn is ready, the peas are already gone.

Answer by Bmat at 1:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• yes, a trellis works well and so does string. Peas are actually an early cool weather crop
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009