HUSBAND WON'T LET US START MEDS FOR ADHD SON-WHAT TO DO?

MY 9 YEAR SON HAD A DIFFICULT TIME THIS PAST YEAR IN THIRD GRADE. HE HAS HAD PROBLEMS SINCE STARTING SCHOOL, BUT NOW THE WORK IS GETTING HARDER AND FASTER. I NEVER WANTED TO GO THE MEDICATION ROUTE. I HAVE TRIED SUPPLEMENTS, BEHAVIORAL MODIFICATIONS, YOU NAME IT. I SPOKE WITH HIS DOC. HE HAS ADHD. SCHOOL WON'T GIVE HIM AN IEP BECAUSE HIS EVALUATIONS SHOWED HE TESTED 2 YEARS ABOVE GRADE LEVEL(THIS IS THE BOY WHO CAME HOME WITH AN "18" ON HIS MATH TEST. I PUT IN FOR AN 504 AND WAITING FOR ANSWER. I WANT TO START HIM ON MED FOR THE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR, BUT MY HUSBAND REFUSES AND WE FIGHT. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HELP MY SON AT THIS POINT AND I FEEL LIKE I AM IN THIS ALONE.
FEELING VERY FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY

kat6262

Asked by kat6262 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm not trying to push meds believe me but if you have tried everything then it's time to consider them. My son had ADHD and has been on meds for 5 years(he's 10 now) and we tried other things before the meds and it came to the point that he was falling behind in school(school got harder), he couldn't really enjoy being around friends because they didn't know how to deal with him and he became very emotional. Tell your husband that it's not about him and what he wants it's about your son and the best course of action for HIM. My son is on a low dose of Concerta so he's not lethargic and it didn't change his personality(which was very important for us that he wasn't overly medicated) .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Try eating organic foods and see what happens before starting meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Well if your husband does not want to go the med route after trying everything else. Then tell him that he needs to handle it and you want nothing to do with it if he is not going to let you help your son. Maybe then, he will change his mind. I noticed that a lot of man when faced with having to do something entirely on their own, tend to say okay lets try what you suggested
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2009