At what age do you feel it's acceptable for a little girl to wear a 2 piece bathing suit?

I was just wondering because my 7 year old wanted to buy one and when she tried it on she was moving her body around saying ooooo I look sexy. I got upset, though I didn't show her, and just said I don't think daddy will like that bathing suit and she picked another one. At what age is wearing a 2 piece acceptable? (If at any age LOL)

princessmommy32

Asked by princessmommy32 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the swimsuit. Some two pieces are sporty. I think they're cute on really little ones, like one and two. My daughter had one that had a sporty top and little ruffles on the bottom when she was two and it looked age appropriate. I live in a coastal community and many little girls wear bikinis and look like little girls. they don't look "sexy" at all. My daughter is now three and wears a one piece but will wear bikini bottoms with a rash guard type top starting next year with surf camp. It is difficult to surf in a one piece. It depends on if the suit is sporty and the cut for me, not so much age. When she is twelve a string bikini would be out, but not a sporty two piece that covers her rear and her chest.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 10:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think 7 is too young and in all honesty my child won't be wearing a 2 pc till she is 18.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Never. when they are a child. I think the right age is when they are 18 and become an adult, therefore they can make that decision on their own.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my 2 y/o has a 2 piece and it's not "sexy" it's cute
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If you mean a bikini, I'd say not until she's 30 (haha), but those cute little ones where only a couple inches of the belly is showing, I see absolutely no problem with...in fact, my 3 year old has one this year.  PIC

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Never,,,When she is grown..

Answer by louise2 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Like kara said some 2 pieces are sporty and 2 pieces are more comfortable when wet. When I was pregnant I hated having a wet suit against my skin.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The issue isn't one piece or two; the issue is coverage.

I wear a halter top and a swim skirt (the skirt is longer than I'd like but it fit right) and I am the most covered up person at the pool of ANY age.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• For my daughter, Never Again!!!!! lol She did have a 2 piece when she was a baby, but now that she's 2... I don't feel it's appropriate for my kid....
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my girl is going to be 3 this summer. she has been wearing bikinis since she started playing in the water. its cute! and totally innocent.
    i dont think the issue is the suit, i think its what she said. i would just tell her that she's not to be saying things like "sexy". yes, she's too young for phrases like that. but no, not too young for a bikini.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2009