My 1 yo burned his finger on the grill yesterday, what should I do?

It is not red, it is not blistering, yet.

Asked by scrappymomma at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Health

• Do you have any burn gel? You can get it at the local pharmacy. I would just keep that on it, and maybe some neosporin and a bandaid as long as it is a small area and not blistering yet. The burn gel is awesome it takes the heat right out of it, and works immediately.

Answer by AK_aries at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• if its not blistering yet, i dont think you have much to worry about. if its bothering him, cover it with a bandaid, since air aggitates burns.
    i hope he feels better soon! (why do they always seem to touch the hot things!?)

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If it is bigger than a quarter he should be seen by a doctor. The first thing to do for a burn is to soak the area in running tap water until it stops the painful burning feeling. You can also dip the area in ice water, but not for very long at a time- don't want to freeze the tissue. So dip just until the burning feeling stops, then lift it out for a while. Now that it is the next day, if a blister forms, don't pop it, which could lead to infection. If a blister forms, I'd keep a bandaid on it.
    I'm not familiar with burn gel, AK Aries? What is it called? It sounds like something I'd like to have on hand.

Answer by Bmat at 10:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If it is a bad burn, take them to the doctor. First Aide training says stay away from all ointments. Be careful for infection. If it was a burn on the grill there is a good possibility it is a deep burn. I wouldn't take a chance.

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If it didn't blister right away, then it's probably just fine, going to be sore. Keep it clean and coverd when he's playing then at night let him get air to it, will be just fine

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Aloe jelly, either from a plant or a tube, is the best thing to put on a burn.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Put honey on it. :o) Works wonders!

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009