how likely that courts award joint custody? yes, good father, but only asking for it to reduce child support..has anyone actually been through this? he has never had him one over-night, and we've been separated for 3 years now! so the only reason is so he doesn't have to pay child support, is that right? hes a doctor now and making great money so it won't hurt him financially, so why do they not want to pay? any feedback from someone who's been through this would help. thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• In my state joint custody does not determine the amount of child support paid. It is the difference in salary between the father and the mother so that each household is set equally so the child doesn't have less at one place.

If you stay home, you should look into alimony also.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• p.s. that is how my divorce went.
    urkiddingright

• agreed! they put your incomes together, and determin the percentgage that each parent makes.. if he amkes 75% then even if you ahve joint custody he pays you on the weeks that he dosent ahve the child....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• my fiance has joint custody of his kids and he still pays $500 for child support...and he makes less then what the mother makes....
    Anonymous

• If he is such a good father, why is it that you believe that he justs wants to see his child to lower the childsupport. Did it ever accur to you that maybe he really wants to parent his child.

I would not worry too much if I was you. We all know that most doctors earn a good income.
    In my state the CS is calculated by both parents income. In a case where there is sharred parenting, then a sharred parenting work sheet is done to calculate the childsupport.
    My fiance is the NCP and he gets credited on the CS for the days he has his children, which is not much.
    Since you did say that your soon to be X is a good father, I hope that the courts do
    award joint custody.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Don't worry, you'll still get your paycheck.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• yes dannee, he is a good dad, but all he does is play with him a few hours and has me pick him up, he doesn't "take care" of him the way he should like he'll go all day barely feeding him, every time i pick him up my son is hungry and exhausted. currently we have shared parental resp, which he's supposed to get him every other weekend and thursday nights the other week, but visitation has been free and liberal, and he's never been able to keep him overnight! so why disrupt a child's life just so he can pay less? and the reason i know is because he told me that's why he's going for more time. so I guess we will leave it to the courts to decide, hopefully the current schedule will stay. any more feedback is appreciated
    Anonymous

• avarah, i'm not worried about the money so much bue he hasn't been paying me so it's frustrating having to worry about finances when you're a single mom. and yes the "paycheck" will be great once I get it, hopefully the courts will favor the mother!
    Anonymous

• In my state joint custody only means both have a say in the decisions for the child. It does NOT affect child support. Child support is determined by his income (google a child support calculator for your state).

Answer by admckenzie at 12:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Are you in the dark...or what....alot of courts favor the mother and the fathers get screwed.. Shall we say that, that is exactly what you want to happen... I will bet that he will get joint custody...men are stupid they have more rights and do not know it. But your X hubby is a doctor, so how knows he may have a great lawyer. You said that your husband plays aliitle with you son, and I will bet that he works long hours.. sounds to me that he does more than some dads.. Stop trying to control the situation. Your child....his child regardless of what you feel for your husband. Guess what unless the father is abusive... CHILDREN deserves both Parents...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009