so what type of clothing do you find appropriate for your kids?

My husband and I were out at the mall the other day and the way I see some of these tweens and teenagers dressing concerns me. This girl looked to be about 14 or 15 and was wearing shorts up her butt. (and she was with her mom)! I also saw lots of tight tight, like how do you even walk in those, jeans. I guess I just don't understand how some parents can let there children leave the house in such tight clothing or barley there clothing. I mean I understand its their child and if they let them dress that way its there business. I just don't see how some parents just don't care enough about protecting their childrens modesty. So what won't you let your children leave the house in? What type of clothing do you find inappropriate? Do you dress a certain way due to your religion? (after seeing these kids at the mall it makes me want to dress mine like the duggars do lol. I understand why they do now).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I have a 10 year old daughter and a son that's almost 16. My son is a jeans and t-shirt kind of kid, and not the Saggy jeans either, we wouldn't allow that. My daughter I'm picky about, I'm not about to have a 10 year old Prostitot running around. It has NOTHING to do with religon, but just about Taste!! I worked in a Middle School and coulnd't believe what some of those kids were wearing. 14 year old girls with low cut tanks and BIG boobs pushed ALL the way up. It was sad
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• At this point in time, about the only thing I find inappropriate is those goofy boys who have the waist of their pants down around their knees. Don't they know how stupid they look? I'm tired of yelling "PULL YOUR PANTS UP" while at the mall.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have two girls, one teen and one tween.  I let them choose their own clothes as long they conform to the school dress code.  So far I haven't had any issues with what they wear.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My oldest daughter is 9 and skinny as heck. It's impossible to find clothes that fit so her shorts are always super short because we get them to fit her waist (which is a size 4/5 even though her length is right in between a 6 and 7). Most people don't even realize how old she is because she's so small. She's the same size as my 6yo. Actually my 6yo wears a bigger size then her and is only an inch or so shorter then her.
    So far the only clothing restriction we have is if we are going somewhere...her shirts have to be a proper length. If she raises her arms and I can see her belly button she has to change. She still wears those shirts around the house and I'm more lenient in the summer since she has limited summer clothes and most are from 2 years ago and don't fit. But otherwise she wears almost anything and most of it is hand me downs from a frient.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I know we shouldn't stereotype people...blah, blah, blah...and I try not to. However, from a psychological standpoint, I absolutely think that they way we present ourselves has an effect on our first impression and how respectfully and seriously other people take us. This is a subconscious principle of nature, similar to how animals in the wild determine the most healthy mate by who has the brightest feathers ect. I plan on teaching my kids from an early age not to judge other people but that they won't be able to help other people judging them. It is important for me to teach them that they should be fashionable, age-appropriate and modest if they want to expect respect from those around them.

To me, no underwear sticking out and no major cleavage showing. You are more of an individual when you dress in a way that compliments you instead of having your underwear sticking and pants hanging down like everyone else.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• as long asi ts not slutty
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• as for fashionable...i wouldnt say they have to do that. wear what you want..what your comfortable in. if you want to wear spikes and a black shirt with a red gothic skirt...sure..if you want to wear a polo shirt sure, if you want to wear fubu..sure. whatever is your perrsonal style. who gives a shit what other ppl think. just dont dress like a whore
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My children are still young(my oldest is 5). So they wear whatever I pick out LOL.

They are boys so they will be allowed to wear jeans, tshirts, stuff like that but they will NEVER EVER have their pants hanging down around their bottoms with boxers hanging out or anything that might get them mistaken for gang members(like bandannas,etc. Something I have to watch for since I live where gangs roam).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• When he's older, my only concern will be language on clothes. I really don't see him falling in the hip hop pants around your knees crowd when he already runs around the house singing Theory of a Deadman. But who knows what they'll be doing 10 years from now - they always look back 20 years for inspiration

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i cant help but think those kinda parents are too busy trying to be their kid's friends than actually doing their job as parents.

my DD's only 1 so she still has no idea about fashion or what she wants to wear. but she will NEVER EVER leave my house wearing clothes that will get her the wrong kinda attention. not only do i want her to have more respect for herself, but i think its dangerous to teach a 10-13 year old that when you wear skanky clothes you get boy's attention...cause you also catch grown men's attention...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009