Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Services (Secretary)

Our social services Secretary, is VERY RUDE. Who should I contact for a complaint??? You can't even ask this woman simple ?'s without getting a smart @$$ answer. I was very upset the last time I was in the Social Services......

Answer Question

Asked by marcnsarah at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Just ask to speak with her supervisor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • Most people at social services are rude. When they see you coming through the doors, they automatically assume you're a lazy welfare queen who's abusing the system. They walk around as if they're angry at the world. I got this attitude a lot when I was disabled and had to apply for food stamps. I just learned to ignore it.

    But you should file a complaint if it makes you feel better. No one has the right to treat you like trash.

    Answer by Fallaya at 11:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • The ladies that work at our drivers license branch are terrible. Never seen such rude people. I hate registering my car or anything because they act like you are an idiot screwing up their day just by coming in.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • I think I would point blank ask her if you've done somthing to offend her, or just tell her very kindly "I am not sure if you were aware of this, but you come off as rather rude. I am sure you didn't mean to offend anyone, and I know you have a lot of work to get through, but I thought I would let you know, because I know I wouldn't want my supervisor to overhear me being unpleasant."

    Sometimes, it really doesn't have anything to do with you. It could be the person who was before you, or their boss, or something at home. I just normally tell them "I hope your day gets better, because it seems like your having a rough time." Make it about them, not you and maybe you'll win a friend.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • Look up the governor of your state and send an email. If the governor has blocked the email due to the recession and high volume, find out who the next in line is. Let the governor get in touch with the director of social services and you will find this secretary sings a different tune. Social Services personnel in NYC were trained to stop all clients from entering the door.

    It's not just social service secretaries - it's any agency which by law is required to give you money or services - they are trained to make it so hard you give up. Go over her head, file a complaint with all spelling correct and state what you need so you don't have to go through this again.

    Answer by terry6202 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • Ask to speak to her supervisor or the center manager. .NO ONE has a right to be disrespected. I have stood up for myself against rude social services employees and remind them that I pay their wages with my taxes and they can be on the other side of the desk at anytime. That usually shuts them up.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

  • Thanks for all of your answers! My Husband got in touch with the Director's Secretary and this woman is going to be in trouble once the Director comes back from Vacation. This woman has had a couple of complaints from other people this week, including ours. I've never met somebody so rude, not even in fast food or local stores. My social worker even has problems with this woman. She is just a terrible person!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.