Court Rules for White Firefighters in Discrimination Case.......

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

I am so glad about this. What that city did was racism pure an simple. It was also just plain wrong. You don't set the rule for something and them change them when the outcome isn't what you wanted!!

Isn't this great? Do you think this will affect her nomination?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm glad they finally won. This was blatant racism. Studying and being able to pass a test has nothing to do with the color of your skin, so to say that because no black men passed the test has to be thrown out is extremely racist and discriminatory. If no white or Hispanic guys has passed and it has been all black men, they would have NEVER done away with the test and results. Everything would have stood as normal and never a question or concern raised.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had heard that one man that took the test had a learning disability. He hired a tutor and wennt the extra mile to pass!!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• so to say that because no black men passed the test has to be thrown out is extremely racist and discriminatory

Also not true - several of them passed, they just didn't score high enough to get promoted - along with a lot of other white and hispanic people who passed but didn't score high enough. That's what was really ignorant about the whole thing. Trophy for everyone mentality.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• This is a refreshing court decision but this is happening in local-government type jobs across the country though, especially in fire/police (my husband is a firefighter for an enormous city). If the people applying for a job are predominantly white and therefore, most of the people that are going to pass are going to be white, just because they have the majority, acceptions are ALWAYS made so that the fire department can claim to uphold Affirmative Action and be "diverse." The mayor of my husband's city is always bitching about areas of the city are mostly black and are being served by racist white people (which isn't true) when they could be served by their "own kind" and therefore the fire department must be racist because there aren't as many blacks as there are whites. The FD can't help who applies and who passes but they give in to the pressure and pass people who failed miserably. Hope none of your homes catch fire!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There IS JUSTICE (despite Sonia Sotomayor)!!!!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'm glad for the ruling. If there is a flaw in the testing, then it should be reformed but not at the expense of those who passed, regardless of race.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• "This was blatant racism."

Agreed!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Well, that was a no brainer........ I'm glad
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• She held up a lower court's ruling, there's a difference. However, eventhough I support Sotomayor's nomination I did not support her ruling nor did I support the ruling of the lower courts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

Yes, because she is the only judge to ever have a decision overturned by the supreme court....and it wasn't JUST her decision it was a 3 JUDGE PANEL.....and she upheld a LOWER COURTS decision....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2009