Will foodstamps be enough?

If cap & trade passes, will the families on food stamps still be receiving enough to buy a month's worth of groceries after factoring the price increases that will hit at the farm, wholesale, distribution and retail levels?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my goodness, this bill is going to make my blood boil and cause me to deliver early.

IT'S NOT just your electric bill, or utilities that will be raised. EVERY CONSUMABLE product will go up. Now, when we all go to the grocery store, all the prices are the same. Poor people don't get a better price on rice by showing their w2.

How many old people ALREADY DIE from inadequate funds for heating and cooling in extreme weather? Congratulations, there is SOME consideration of the poor in this bill.

No one has any idea how bad this is going to get. Companies exist to make money, therefore they will simply pass their higher cost on to you. For every. Single. Thing. No "analysis" can get an accurate grip on that- it needs to be done industry by industry.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Not unless they go up at least 10-fold!

http://www.heritage.org/press/factsheet/fs0034.cfm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Cap and Trade is going to result in even more people coming under the control of, and dependent upon the Government

That is the underlying point. ITS CALLED CONTROL!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Of course costs will be passed onto the consumer DUH....I certainly hope these ladies are not listening to you.This country is doomed enough from the garbage this admin has already jammed down our throats we do not need this!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• and in the middle of a damn recession
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• most estimates show that the amount passed onto the consumer will average 20-30 cents per day.

If by "most" you mean a single CBO report based on a version of the bill that no longer exists and speculation based on previous c&t programs that were not anywhere near this scope and magnitude. Based on Sesame Street, bill starts with the letter b, and that information is about as useful to the discussion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• "And just for the record, most estimates show that the amount passed onto the consumer will average 20-30 cents per day. I don't know about you but I'm willing to pay 20 or 30 cents a day."

My electric co-op is estimating my electric bill will increase by $80-$170 a MONTH. Which estimate should I listen to, some person who isn't familiar with my electric co-op and it's situation, or the company who will be BILLING ME?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• For example, the combination of better building codes, more efficient appliances and building retrofits could save approximately $750 per household by 2020 and $3,900 per household by 2030.

Only if you have disposable income to buy the upgrades - the rebate program will never cover more than 50% of your costs. If you do level 1 upgrades and spend $1000, even though level 1 is worth $1000, you cannot get more than $500. And to reduce your emissions to hit level 1 rebate - most homeowners will have to spend a LOT more than $2000.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The estimate the House Republicans keep citing is from 2007!

And the one mancosmomma is citing is from this month - is her electric company lying?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• "For example, the combination of better building codes, more efficient appliances and building retrofits could save approximately $750 per household by 2020 and $3,900 per household by 2030."

If you can AFFORD new appliances and building retrofits.  Do you have any IDEA how much it COSTS to retrofit a 100 yr old house?  I DO, because I've rebuilt one.  You have an extra $150,000+ to upgrade electrical, windows, insulation, etc.?  Add in new appliances, plumbing, etc., plus interest on the money you will have to borrow. How long will it take to recoup THOSE costs, IF you can afford them?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009