Question for Christians

If your religion is against homosexuality (for example) and you found out that one of your favorite music artists is gay, would you stop listening to their music? Or your favorite actor comes out, would you stop watching his movies? Is it a sin to "support" them in that way? What's your opinion and are there places in the Bible that specifically address something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All sins are equal in God's eyes. There is not one sin greater than another. Although, homosexuality is one of the sins God finds as an abomination. You can love a person and totally disagree with their behaviour and actions. We teach our children to love the sinner, but hate the sin. We are not to judge others. We are to love everyone so that they see the love of God through us. I don't feel that I can personally judge anyone or condemn them because of their actions. We can lovingly point out the sin in one's life, but have to be very careful not to make them feel that we are better than them.
    Anonymous

• I'm a Christain and I'm not for gay marriage, but I am not prejudice against them either, I don't think homosexuality is a sin, I think of it more as a disorder and they can't help it. One of my favorite singers is Melissa Etheridge who is gay. If my child were to tell me that they were gay, I would except and of course still them, but also be sad for them because I feel that their life is going to be very hard.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• oh I meant to say still love them and except their homosexuality
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• actually I think you meant accept their homosexuality, because except means to disregard.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• the Bible never says to completely isolate yourself from those who are "sinning". so long as your behavior isnt "corrupted" by the person, their is nothing wrong in buying their music or movies. i think Ellen is hilarious & Lance Bass was always my fav member of N*sync, but then again im a Christian that doesnt have a problem w/ homosexuals.

and if anyone says it is a sin to support those who are gay by buying their products, then you better stop buying any music or seeing any movies, cause most of them participate in something sinful...b/c everyone sins.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• OP here: I was just wondering about this because my hubby heard something on the radio the other day along these lines. A Catholic Priest was basically saying that any Catholics who voted for Obama should not take communion etc. until they confess because voting for him when he supports abortion (specifically he was speaking of late term, but included all) was a sin. So I was wondering if this is something most Catholics and/or Christians agree with. I didn't want to get stuck on specifically abortion or homosexuality OR Obama though so I'm just trying to ask in a general way. Basically if you support somebody who does something you consider a sin by voting for them, or buying their music etc. is that bad or a sin to do so. Maybe I didn't word this well.
    Anonymous

• It's not for me to judge how they live. I know what the Bible says, that it isn't right in God's eyes. But, all sin is bad in God's eyes. And, for the record, Elton John has always been a favorite of mine,and if you go to my playlist,you will see some songs by him on it. Do I agree with and support his lifestyle choice? No, not in the least,but his choice,in my opinion has nothing to do with the music he makes.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with stvmom. I love Elton John, The B-52'S, and Morrisey.

I think the Catholic church's problem with voting for Obama was not because of his opinion. It was because by voting for him, you were in a sense voting for abortion yourself.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Keep in mind OP that this is the same 'church' that excommunicated a mother and her 9 year old daughter (who was raped by her biological father and was carrying his twins) for getting that little girl an abortion. Yet, the dad recieved no punishment since he 'confessed' his sin.

And the same 'church' that continues to allow priests (the holiest connections to god) that molest children to retain their status and work among the population.

So, IMO, you can very well seperate a person's actions/beliefs from their chosen form of entertainment. Its all about how YOU feel about it. For example: I don't mourn the passing of MJ because he was a pedophile. His musical influence doesn't matter to me. He was a sick person and just because he made some decent songs, he got away with stealing a child's innocence. Wrong.

*Not to bash on ALL Catholics or churches, I take each individual on their own merit....just making a point.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• ozarkgirl3, do you have a link to the story about the 9 year old being excommunicated?
    Anonymous