babysitting

my brother and his wife are expecting in Sept. and they've asked me if I could babysit for them so that they wouldn't have to pay so much on day care..I told them I would,..my question is should I charge them half of what a daycare charges or just babysit for free??

juju40

Asked by juju40 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• It really depends on your relationship with them & their financial situation & your financial situation. Can you afford to babysit for free? Are they so strapped that paying you would create a financial hardship? Having them pay for care might provide more structure to the arrangement & you would avoid any last minute things (if they are paying you by the hour, they are much more likely to show up on time & not run errands on your times). Do you trust them not to take advantage of you? How long will this arrangement last? Is it a few months until they work something else out or will this be a long term thing? I think you need to sit down with Brother & SIL & have an honest conversation about this. I babysat for close friends & they paid me $40 a day (this was 7 years ago). I worked 8 hours a day on average, so it was $5 an hour which was cheaper than daycare at that time & place. It worked out great. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Not sure about newborns, but where we are childcare in someones home is $100 to $125/wk We are is a small town and it seems to be cheaper than a city. I think you should have them pay something or you could become resentful. I would probably charge $20/day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Depends how long and how often they want you to babysit. If it is an everyday thing while they work, you could ask for a small amount of money. I don't think that would be wrong.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with Funnyface1204
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• In Fairfield County, CT the rate for a newborn is $15-20/hour - that's a babysitter, not daycare. Daycare centers can charge more. It's a huge responsibility, commitment and extremely tiring work. I would feel better if I was asked to babysit because I'm trusted and great, not because I'm cheap. You may be wise, and I'm sure they feel the same way, that all arrangements are temporary since they are adjusting their lifestyle. But definitely get paid.
    terry6202

Answer by terry6202 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I'm going to be sitting 4 days out of the week ..my SIL is a teacher and my bro is police officer he works graveyards so I'll be sitting while he sleeps..I don't mind it I'll have her here in my house...thanks ladies for your advice really appreciate it.
    juju40

Answer by juju40 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009