• In the Spotlight:

How to break the pacifier

I have a 3 and a half year old and a two year old who both still take pacifiers. My 2 year old is so addicted that when he loses it at night he will wake up. I am tired of them and peoples comments. I have tried everyone avenue possible does anyone have any ideas?

mamasack

Asked by mamasack at 11:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've seen people "give" the pacifiers to other babies. You explain to them that they are big kids now and don't need the pacifiers and that there are little babies who really need them. You convince them to give them to the little baby as a present.

Same idea pretty much. Send pacies to the babies in heaven tied to helium balloons.

Some people will start cutting the pacifier and slowly get it down to nothing they can put in thier mouth around.

Good luck! I know it's got to be hard. I never had to deal with it , my DS weaned himself off at 4 months or so. I wish he'd kept it a little longer, but lucky I guess that he didn't!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have an 18 month old who likes his paci also I have been keeping it from him during the day and only giving it to him for naps and bedtime when he wakes up I take it and hide it I am going to try to take it next from his naps and then from bedtime if this doesnt work I will try cold turkey it will be rough but he will survive
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Try snipping off the tip, giving them away to the pacifier fairy to give to babies, or just take it away and don't give it back. The fits for it will get worse before getting better but those ages are way too old to have pacifiers...especially to be waking up during the night for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I wish I could offer a suggestion, but I really don't have any advice considering my 14 month old hasn't used a pacifier since she was 2 months. She just didn't seem to have any interest in using one. When my daughter turned 1, I just quit giving her the bottle and put her straight onto a sippy cup. Can you not do the same with a pacifier?....just take it from her?
    maggiesmom415

Answer by maggiesmom415 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Just take them away and deal with it for a few days...then it's all over.
    Anonymous