Is a 6 month old too young for the zoo?

Our family will all be off from work and daycare and everything on Friday so I was thinking about going to the zoo, but we have 6 month old twins. Would you go? I'm not going to let the animals lick on them of course and that's not why I'm asking. I'm just thinking the heat and schedules and stuff. We also have an 8 year old that I hate that we can't do as much fun stuff with him because we are restricted on what we can do for now! I want to do something fun as a family and the zoo is super cheap. It's also about 3 hours away, I think. We would be going to the Jacksonville FL zoo if that gives you any ideas. What would you do? Or if anyone has been there with a small baby, how did they handle it?

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 11:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My twins are almost two and I'm still feeling guilty about how much we've cut back on activities with our older child, so I know what you are talking about. I think I'd try it, but be prepared for things to take longer than expected and be prepared to change your plans as necessary (try not to promise too many specific activities to the 8 yo so you won't end up disappointing him). I'd be most concerned about the heat. I think the other suggestions are good, but I'd also want to know where all the airconditioned areas are. You might want to have one parent keep the babies in an airconditioned place at least some of the time and let the other parent go out with 8 yo; I just think hours out in the heat might be a bit much for the babies. Good luck & have fun!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I took my 7 month old son and 8 year old brother to the zoo. I just kept a hat and sunscreen on the baby and made sure we stopped for shade often. It'll be fine. Have fun!!
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 11:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• We took our little guy to the zoo when he was about 10 months old. He was too young to notice or care about any of the animals, but he loved being out in the stroller with my husband and me.
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think it is something they will all enjoy! We took my son to the zoo when he was small and he was just in awe the whole time, all the animals and new sights and sounds, he just loved it! Little long of a drive, but I would say go for it!
    ButterflyMeli

Answer by ButterflyMeli at 11:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If you can handle twins and an 8 year old in a zoo go for it. LOL They do not recommend sunscreen for anyone under 1 but you can use other forms of sun protection.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• 6 months? Definitely old enough. Just make sure you bring sunscreen and things.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Make sure you bring your own strollers. The ones at most zoos that you can rent are for bigger kids and your babies won't fit. It will be really difficult to carry them, been there done that. :0

Have fun!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i think it may be too hot for 6 mos babies right now. if it's over 90 I wouldn't take them. it's not about it being the zoo, but about the weather.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• "They do not recommend sunscreen for anyone under 1 "

???

It used to be advised that you should not use sunscreen on babies less than six months old, but the American Academy of Pediatrics now states that sunscreen is probably safe to use on younger children, especially if you just use it on small areas of your baby's skin that is exposed to the sun and not protected by clothing, such as the infant's hands and face.

Our sunscreen even says not to use it on kids under 6 months. Is this under a year rule something new?
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think it's fine! i took mine at 2 months... but she slept the entire time! Again at 8 months and she loved it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009