Should you TRY to conform your beliefs...

I have been told many times by many of you wonderful CafeMommys that I am going to hell because I'm not Christian. Or that I should change my beliefs. I was raised Christian, didn't fit!

So, here's my question...

Should someone try to force themselves to believe a religion simply because it's "the right one" or should they find a religion that fits their personal beliefs?

I don't believe you can make yourself believe something, and that those that don't believe in one thing or another should find something they can believe in not just fake it or do what others are doing just to try to be "right". If they do they arent' actually following that path anyways...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think anyone should conform their beliefs to fit what they think other people want. I think A LOT of people do this, especially children with very religious parents. As the kids get older they start to question things in the religion, but they stay with it to make their parents happy. I think that is really sad. My mama raised me to believe what I want, and to ALWAYS question things. That is my problem with religion; I just can't take something someone tells me and say "ok you're right." I have to question why things are the way they are, I can't accept someone saying it is that way because I say so or this person says so. I believe in God, but I do not believe in orgainzed religion. I do not believe that I have to be in a certain place at a certain time to have a realtionship with God. I also believe that someone's relationship with God is private, so I really want people to stop trying to preach to me.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Even if you outwardly spoke that you believed that doesnt change where your heart is.

You must find what you hold dear and true and follow it, even if others dont agree or "curse" you for it.

You cant happily live a lie nor would the Divine want us to.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• many times as children we are programmed to accept a belief without questioning it. As a teen I resented it and as an adult I questioned it. I went out and studied other religions and found my own spiritual way. True that I came full circle and realized I do believe what was pounded into me as a child but now I know it's my decision not that of others influencing me. It's ok to find your own path.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Should someone try to force themselves to believe a religion simply because it's "the right one"  NO!

or should they find a religion that fits their personal beliefs?  Absolutely!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• What you believe, is your own choice. Sometimes people choose to believe things that make sense to them, or things that they feel a connection with.

I personally believe the Bible is the true word of God. Therefore I choose to conform my beliefs to match the Bible. There have been many times I have been corrected by the word of God, and I change my beliefs to match the teachings of the Bible. But that is my choice, that is based on my first belief that the Bible is the Word of God.

I can't be any help to you LOL, because I choose to conform my beliefs! But, unless you believe the Bible is the Word of God, you really can't conform your beliefs to match it, because you haven't given the Bible authority.

I put the teachings of the Bible above my own experiences and the words of anyone else. Romans 3:4 says, "Let God be true and every man a liar" I trust the Bible more than I trust myself.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Here is a verse that might help you understand what I mean by conforming my beliefs:

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is." Romans 12:2 NLT

Also Psalm 119 might help you understand me better too.

This is just how I choose to live my life. But I personally don't think there is any point in pretending you believe something you don't. I think God knows our hearts, and it doesn't matter what other people think. Ananias and Saphira were killed by God for pretending to be more holy than they were.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I tried to fit in with the religion I was raised in (Catholic) but it never felt right. Not that I have anything against the religion, it just seemed as if I was pretending all those years. When I found my current spiritual path I felt the connection with divine wisdom and love become so much stronger.

I feel that divinity goes by many names God/Goddess/Source/Creator, etc. and that there are many ways in which people can connect with this divine energy. To force it and fake it would, in my opinion, be living a lie.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You have to do what feels right to you. Even if you did say you were Christian,you and God both would know you weren't sincere,and you wouldn't be happy. If being pagan is what makes you happy,and fulfilled,then that's what's best for you.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Do what feels right. No one thing can be right for everybody...with all the different cultures and ideas and personalities of people, I find it amusing to think that a creator would make such variety, only to try and then make veryone just alike.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• There is no ONE TRUE PATH...

We all must find our OWN TRUE PATH!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009