Do you let your daughter wear these?

So I guess my problem with little girls clothing is how they put words like 'HOTTIE' 'DIVA' or 'SEXY' across the seat of the pants. Even more worrisome sometimes is that parents buy them. Don't they worry that some pervert is staring at their daughters little hiney? Isn't it like pinning a target on them? I know people feel safe in their neighborhoods, but have they checked the predator registries to see how many are actually between their house and their kids school? Its scary and I just don't know about pointing out my childs body with big words on their backsides that say they are hot stuff or just too sexy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I would not. I totally agree. I also think that it sends the child the wrong message about her sexuality at a very young age. Young girls should not be taught to dress provocatively and they should not be taught to be a sex object. We battle enough of this in the real world with out having it taught at home too!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• NO I wouldn't and wont let my little girl wear stuff like that. I dont even wear pants with stuff written across the butt out any where. I have on pair of sweats that have Aeropostale written across the butt that i ONLY wear around the house. But IMO wearing something that says, "sexy" "diva" etc, across the butt is really tacky and trashy and I wouldnt let my daughter out of the house in it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No our school dress code doesnt allow anything written across the hiney, but I don't like it anyway. I have made the exception when the cheer camp put Cheer on the back of the shorts, but in general I don't buy clothes like that.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• no I wouldn't not at all. I let her wear tank tops and mini skirts and stuff, but she is 5 and they do not show anything they shouldn't. As she gets older we will have to rethink some things she can wear, but I am also not the type of parent that will make her stay covered up from head to toe.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No I don't. I think one of my daughters has some shorts that say gymnast across the butt, but she rarely wears them. I think trying to make your child seem "sexy" and excusing it as cute is just asking from trouble... especially later on in the teen years. It just sends the wrong message I think. Do these moms really want their daughters to grow up thinking of themselves as sex objects and nothing more?

Anonymous

• My daughter can wear them when she is 18 or over and buys them herself.

I don't mind them on college girls (I never wore them myself). But on younger girls, especially little girls - GROSS.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• no my oldest does not wear clothes with words acrossed the butt. I think it's trashy. And men stare anyways.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have bought one that said "Cutie" but I think that is WAY different than "sexy".
    I would NEVER allow my 6yr old to wear something that said "sexy".
    You are totally right about the offenders around ur area. I looked at mine, and we are from a VERY small town: and OMG!!!! Its soooo amazing how so many are in the area. So many that I have waited on at work, so many that i have seen drive by my house, seen walking at a local event: its soooooo freaky. I NEVER let my daughter outta my sight. I NEVER leave her in the car to "run into the store", or let her play outside alone. (I wouldn't anyways, but you know what i mean.)
    SO FREAKY!!!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 12:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• What age clothing are you looking at? I have never seen that stuff for anyone younger than a teen. I don't think it's appropriate to direct anyone's attention to your butt with wording regardless of your age; but whatever to each their own; but I've never seen if for small kids.

I would like to point out though that clothing is not what attracts pedophiles and other perverts. You could have your kid bundled up in a parka and if the perv wants to think something you have no control over that...I mean look at AK; they're not walking around showing off their goods and yet they have one of the highest sex crimes rates in the country...the idea that dressing your child like it's 1900 is going to 'save' them from something is a little out there...but that's just me...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't but not because of paranoia about pedos...I don't need those words to describe my young child. I think it's creepy and inappropriate (although "Diva" is funny and does not assume any type of sexual context).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2009