Potty Training Nightmare!

My son is 2 years 5 months old! I have been trying to potty train him and he will use the potty if I tell him to go sit on it. But if he has to pee he just goes to the kitchen and pees/poops on my floor!!! I put the potty in the kitchen but its not helping. I feel like he knows what hes supposed to do but he just doesnt. Also I've been letting him go naked because when I put underware on him he pees in them too. What do I do? Any advice will help!

candace71306

Asked by candace71306 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• here is the best advice you will get...Wait until he is ready. If he is consistently going and using your kitchen as a toilet then he isn't ready. BAck off for a few months and try again.
    Anonymous

• I know they say not to punish when potty training, but if he's going to the same spot he obviously knows when he has to go and is choosing not to. It might be time to step up the discipline and let him know that this is not a game.
    Anonymous

• Also, be sure to make him clean his own messes.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with anonymous - if he consistently goes in the kitchen then he is ready. If he just goes whererever he happens to be at the time then he's not ready. But stopping his play to go pee or poop in the same place is a sign of readiness.

He's nearly 2.5 years. How to stop this? Have him clean it up. He is more than able to mop up pee and carry poop to the toilet for flushing. You can then follow up with cleaners. Stay calm so you are not "rewarding" his behavior by getting upset. Just say something like " Uh Oh. Looks like you didn't make it to the potty this time. Let's get some paper towles to clean up." This is not punishment, just a matter-of-fact cleaning up your own mess type thing. If he refuses to help clean up, you can punish his refusal. And be sure to save the mess for him to clean up once he gets out of time out for refusing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• he is two and a half, and not ready to potty train, why punish him for your shortcomings. Your wanting to be done with diapers is your thing not his. He isn't ready stop pushing.
    Anonymous

• Use a kitchen timer!! It worked for both of my autistic sons! Show him that you are setting the timer for 20 minutes, and demonstrate the sound of the bell. Tell him when the bell goes off, it's time to go potty! You keep him on the potty until he does something! My sons sometimes sat for OVER AN HOUR!

If after a long time, he does nothing, let him up, but set the timer for 10 minutes, and back on! He'll get tired of having to go sit every few minutes that he'll produce something!

It took about 4 FULL days of CONSTANT reinforcement, and about 2-3 weeks thereafter of follow-up and practice until they then learned how to undress, clean up, get dressed--with a little help from me!

I actually set up a TV tray in the bathroom with water, juice and snacks, books, crayons, etc., for him to entertain himself while he sat there. I brought in a chair and magazines for me to read!

Small sacrifice paid off quickly! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Thank you to all! And for the people that are saying back off, well I would if I thought he wasnt ready, I don't mind buying the dipers or changing them trust me! I'd love to not have to wipe pee and poop off the floor and clean dirty underware. My son knows what he is supposed to do and I know hes ready. He knows how to hold it over night and when we go on trips. He is starting pre-school in August because I am in nursing school. The pre-school is the best program in my town but he needs to be potty trained. I could send him somewhere else that doesnt cost as much but I want whats best for him. It's not for me it's for him!!!
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Have you tried "rewarding" his good behavior? You said he will use the potty if you tell him to go sit on it. Take him to the potty every hour and when he uses it give him some "reward". Also, maybe you should have him wear underwear. Wet underwear that is uncomfortable might also be a deterrent.

In my experience, not many 2 1/2 year old boys are ready to potty train but I can understand that you want him to be in the pre-school program.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• YEs i agree, if hes going in one specific spot, then hes showing that he understands what he is doing.. i woiuldn't punish either. this is when i knew my son was ready. I dont think that hes doing it to make you mad, he just may not like the feel of wet and understand to not do it in his pants.. the timer thing is a good idea def. i will try that myself.
    MickeysMom19

Answer by MickeysMom19 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2009