Would your husband be a stay-at-home-dad? Would you let him?

I just read a CNN article that said 31% of dads would be willing to stay at home with the kids if their spouse/partner earned enough $$ to allow it. I wonder how many of us mothers would be willing to work full-time while our husbands stayed home? I know I would, hell I already work full-time and do most of the childcare work anyway! Why is it the women always stay home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DH wants to be a stay-at-home dad, but I'm just old fashioned and thinks the woman should be the one that stays at home and cook and clean and raise babies. But, that's just me. Plus I'd just feel uncomfortable being the only one supporting my family. I just feel like that is the man's responsibility.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My husband would never stay home! He says since he is the man, he brings in the $ and puts food on the table. The ONLY way he would stay at home is if my job allowed millions a year and his income wouldn't matter.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would prefer if he made lots of $ and I could stay home, but if the opportunity was that I made tons of $, yes, he would absolutely stay home with the kids. I would have a tough time of it though, as hard as it is to be the one doing most of the housework and child care, AND working full time (2 days in the office/3 days at home), it would be very hard for me to relinquish control...I'd want to tell him exactly what to do every day instead of letting him structure the day, kwim? I think I'd be calling asking what they ate and if they napped all the time, I'd drive him nuts!

But to just answer your question, yes, my DH would totally do it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• So working is the 'man's responsibility?"
    Anonymous

• My husband doesn't want to stay home. He has a job he loves and wouldn't want to give it up. That and he sees the huge messes my son can make and what I do all day. lol! He's not up for it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't and I don't think he'd let me anyhow. I strongly believe that men should be the providers for the family, and women should be the nurturers because that's simply how we were made. If men were made to be nurturers their faces would be less prickly =)

Also, I only care about making enough money to provide for my family so I wouldn't care too much about the "extra" money I'd be making in that situation. I'd rather be home with my children than rich with money.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• My SO would if I made more money than him working outside the home and I know he'd be great at it too! But I don't think he'd be able to handle it long term..I think he would start to feel bad about not working and me making the money.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If I could find a job that supports us as well as his I would in a heartbeat allow him to stay home. He is a fabulous dad and wants to be there for his kids. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If I had a better paying job with better benefits. Yes he would be a SAHD.

Answer by louise2 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I would love for one of us to stay home, but I don't see that happening! If I made enough, I wouldn't mind one bit, them getting more daddy time... Then maybe they would grin at me the way they do at him! I guess they see me more, so when daddy is there, it's all eyes on him!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009