Welfare reform act of 1996

Is this still enforced-being acted on?? I was wondering because it states that it allows a limit on welfare benefits and makes sure that those who recieve benefits are "actively looking for employment"-I was wanting to know if it has been overturned-or whatever-because many women here think that its ok to receive PA and be a SAHM-doesn't this ACT prove that wrong, then??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oh shut-up.
    Anonymous

• NO, it doesn't prove wrong. When you have some type of aid they re-evaluate your living situation yearly (sometimes more often than that) and check your income levels. AND, it IS ok to be a sahm and receive PA, such as WIC and food stamps. If that sahm goes to work all of her income would go to daycare!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• for real! everyone goes through rough times. and your saying that if you had no job or money you would make your kids sleep under a bridge and not eat instead of get PA?! ok thats good parenting. We are all just trying to make a safe and happy life for our kids. I have been looking for a job to make life better for my kids for 5 months and nothing. I dont have a GED or any college. But my kids have no idea we are getting government help. I dont want them to know that I cant provide for them. you dont think that makes me feel bad? it kills me. But I want my kids to be raised with a fun and happy life.
    Anonymous

• Is this still enforced-being acted on??

In some cases, NO... Obama's stimulus act reversed some of these 1996 leg. reforms...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• BUT!!! It states that people HAVE TO BE ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR EMPLOYMENT-so, no, I don't think that that means-stay at home and take care of your kids. AND, it puts a 5 year limit.

Anyone know if this is the standard that welfare still goes by??
    Anonymous

• In some cases, NO... Obama's stimulus act reversed some of these 1996 leg. reforms...

really? Do you have a link? That makes me upset.......
    Anonymous

• Congrats on trying to attacke people while they're down.
    I guess it's easy for you to make assumptions without knowing any facts, OP. Good job!
    Anonymous

• popcorn

Anonymous

• OP here-PLEASE read what I addressed. The only person here that as actually said anything toward on answer was grlygrlyz-ladies, chill. This is a welfare reform act-I didn't write it! I just wanted to know bc obviously some people on this site don't know about it.
    Anonymous

• I would think there were provisions in place for if one family member was the primary 'bread winner.' For example, I stay at home with our children and my husband provides for us. If for some reason he were to lose his job then I assume we would qualify for assistance but it would be a result of his unemployment, not mine.
    I work a full-time job, I take care of my children and we do so quite comfortably. I think some of you ladies have no clue how Welfare works.
    Anonymous