Do you think special needs kids should be forced to have shots in order to get their therepy?

Today I had to take my dd to the doctor for shots. I really was against her getting vaccinated because we didn't have a diagnosis for her until a little bit ago. I wanted to delay them. But in order to get the therepy she needed she had to have them. I feel like that shouldn't be the case. What do you ladies think?

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• i think vaccines should be a parents choice not mandatory..but they are mandatory at schools also. Y should the govt get to decide what is injected into my child's body? I agree with u
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• What do you mean in order to get therapy she had to have them? You can opt out of vaccinations. I had therapy for my son and didn't have to get him vaccinated. They are playing you for a fool.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• She goes to a school for her therepy and they said it was a guideline we had to follow in order for her to go there/
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No they are not mandatory at schools. They have waivers. You get one from the school and opt out for personal or philosophical reasons.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I work in a school with an unvaxed special needs boy. It's never been an issue, we do all his therapy and programming. I am for vaxing, but it should be up to the parent, you shouldn't be forced to vax, especially since you didn't want to not do them, but just delay.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Just play the "its against my religion card"...sometimes they fear being biased against a religion more so than your personal beliefs.
    Anonymous

• I am for vaccinations and I also have children who've needed therapy and No, it isn't something you should have been forced to do.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• First, there are waivers for medical, religious and personal reasons (in some states). As for the religious reasons, you have to prove that immunizations are against your religion. You also have to prove medical reasons, a doctor has to sign the waiver and I don't know many that will. My son had a reaction to the MMR and he wouldn't sign a waiver--he said to wait and see what would happen with a half dose the next time. He was fine with the half dose. I agree that it is a parents choice to vaccinate or not vaccinate but a simple tetnaus shot to protect the staff in case a child bites them isn't uncalled for. Human bites are worse than animal bites.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009