What is your opinion of Ted Haggard?

If you don't know who he is, he was an evangelical pastor at a church in Colorado. He was "exiled" from his church and Colorado itself after buying meth from a prostitute and having gay sex.

(I just watched a documentary on him, and he's going to be on Oprah today =])

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hypocrite. Sleazebag. Isn't it interesting how those preachers who seem to preach out MOST on a certain subject (Haggard was actively anti-gay before he was found out) have a particular problem with that subject. If they preach about family values and against adultery, they are probably COMMITTING adultery. If they preach against drug abuse or drunkeness, those are the problems they are probably having.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• He is a flawed human, who sins,just as every other flawed human on this planet. We all sin, no one except Jesus is perfect. I only hope he has been able to ask forgiveness from God,and get some help for whatever demons he has obviously fought for many years. Just because someone is a man of God does not make him immune from very human mistakes. If you are interested in learning more, I recommend a book by Beth Moore, called "When Godly people do ungodly things." Beth presents it in such a way as to make sense of all the madness. I love her studies,she is so down to earth,and writes in such a way that she does not come off as holier than thou.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• See, I'm really conflicted on the whole thing. While I don't agree with his anti-gay sermons, I feel that the church made the wrong decision by excommunicating him. Whatever happened to compassion and sanctuary? Like you said, he's a human, just like the rest of us. I think he should have been more honest with his followers about his problems with sexuality and alcohol and drugs. I kinda feel bad for how he was treated by his fellow Christians, but then again I don't. A part of me is happy that he "got what was coming to him."
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I tend to agree with what you said cait. We went to a church for awhile, not gonna say what religion,but the church secretary's son was arrested for DWI,and had some pot on him. He got into a lot of trouble, and rather than the church rallying around her, and praying, doing what they could to help her through it, she was a single mom, they told the members we were not to talk to her,or her son,and he was not allowed back into the church building. The only reason she was they were going to let her keep her job for the time being. We left after that,not sure if they let her go after that or not. But, in my opinion, that was one of the most judgemental, unchristian congregations I'd ever seen.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I know who he is, while he made a few mistakes. God is Grace and Loves Ted. I did not know he was officially excommunicated, I thought he just stepped down. There is a scripture that does talk about how to handle someone in sin in the CHURCH. In the book of Matthew chp 18 I think about how you go to the person, confront them if they do not repent brink 2 others with you, if still no repentance then bring them before the church , no chance then you let them go. This is not an over night process but a period of months.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh really? I thought excommunicating was the same thing as exiling him. Don't take my word for it then, I think the documentary said he exchanged a year of severance pay for a year of spiritual healing. So maybe he was allowed to go back to the church after that year : / I'm not sure when the movie was made.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree with witchqueen.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yeah, 1 and 2 Corinthians talk about church discipline too. One of the members of the church was sleeping with his step-mom. And the church was showing tolerance of the sin. Paul said no, that you are to cast them out until they repent. "And you are so proud of yourselves! Why aren't you mourning in sorrow and shame? And why haven't you removed this man from your fellowship? Then you must cast this man out of the church and into Satan's hands, so that his sinful nature will be destroyed [fn] and he himself [fn] will be saved when the Lord returns." (1 Cor. 5)

Paul says that if one person is allowed to sin everyone will be affected. And when you send them out of the church for a time, it is with the heart of bringing them to repentance. It isn't out of hate or disgust, but with hope that they will want to return to the Lord for real, like the prodigal son.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• When they repent, you are to restore them with love so they are not discouraged. After they obeyed Paul, the man repented. Paul told them to bring him back and restore him to fellowship, "He was punished enough when most of you were united in your judgment against him. Now it is time to forgive him and comfort him. Otherwise he may become so discouraged that he won't be able to recover. Now show him that you still love him." 2 Cor. 2:6-8

I have seen this practiced. Even recently, we had an episode of sexual immorality with one of the leaders of our church. He was taken out of ministry. He repented and he is going to our church now and things seem better. We all act like nothing happened (not very many people know). God forgives. His grace is amazing.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• BTW: I think I will catch Oprah today. Thanks for posting! I never really knew much about him, since I wasn't a Christian growing up.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2009