bottle-feeding anyone?!?!? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok heres the thing:

i have a five month old. and she has been breastfed . I have tryin desperatly for the past month to bottle feed her. So far i have NOT been succesful. My mom has taken her for a day so she wouldnt see me and xpect to get fed. She dindnt take any of the formula in. from 8 am to 4pm she rather starve than take her bottle. i have also bought her some bottles that claim that its perfect for breastfed babies such as adiri and mam. and no luck. i have also tried to use a rubber nipple on top of mine when i try to feed her so she gets used to the rubber feeling and it didnt work. tryed feedin her at differnt times of the day/afternoon/night. I have also pumped and put it inthe bottle,and let a little came out so she knows theres food there, and NOTHING. Please someone im desperate!!! i need her to take the bottle because i need to go work, money is becoming scarce. So please HELP ME. im a first time mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK heres the deal when it comes to bottlefeeding from breastfeeding start off with BM int he bottle, formula tastes REALLY nasty, ever tasted it, so she may have a negative thought about it because of the formula in the firts ones.

Theres no reason to wean to the bottle because of work. I worked full time with a child that hated the bottle and nursed at hoem. I left bottled BM for him but in the 8 hours I worked he rarely took 4oz..never more. This is called reverse cycling and perfectly safe. He would nurse twice before I left as soon as I returned and about 3 more time before bed..and even STTN.

You can do that too, nurse before you leave for work and as soon as you get back, if shes hungry enough she will take it, if not she will wait til you return. COunt diapers if theres still the right amount, shes fine. If it goes down use a syringe to feed Bm while away, or a dropper. Its a pain but it works.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• heres a great link
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

my IBCLC recommended it so does LLL, keep nursing, don't force the bottle, have it offered when you work...just nurse as much as you can while home and you should be fine
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• The same thing happened to me. I had to go back to work when my DD was 3 mos. She had never taken a bottle. The first few days she seriously held out all day and only ate about 1-2 oz. in an 8 hr. period. By the third day, she was fine with the bottle. She would do most of her nursing when I got home and at night so it's not like she let herself starve. The bottom line is your baby won't starve. He/she will probably just eat mostly at night until they get used to the bottle. One of the things that made the bottle transition better was the temp. It turns out my DD is very particular about how warm the bottle is. She wants it to be just like breastmilk, which is nice and warm. They have to heat it up every time, otherwise she won't take it, even if it's room temp. Also, I never had success giving her the bottle myself. She might take it from me now, I'm not sure, but she would never, ever take it from me. G. Luck!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009