Has anyone ever had a baby during their college semester?

I've already completed 2 years but have a long ways to go. Last pregnancy, I filed a leave of absence for the semester my dd was due. This time I'm trying to attend this fall even though my due date is in Nov. But now I'm so worried about going back to school and having a newborn at the same time I'm tempted to put it off, but DH really wants me to stick it out. I know it's possible but I'm also skeptical.

So if anyone has been in the same boat, how did you handle going to school and then having the baby? Where your professors understanding and work with you?

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 12:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your professors should work with you, but they arent going to give you to much! At least they did not me. I just finished two of my classes, which was difficult and I do online classes. I had my baby 3 weeks ago. I am now taking a 3 week break to settle in with her and do what I need to do. Her dad works Monday-Friday and works 12-14 hour shifts. I do not know what your situation is. I know I was not comfortable at all leaving her with a baby sitter so thats why i decided to do classes online at the beginning of my pregnancy. Since you have had a baby, you know the lack of sleep you are going to have. So really you need to think of what you can handle. Will you be able to give it your all or just be wasting ur money?! Maybe take one semester off then dont put it off and go back!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• That's what worries me. That I'll be a zombie and end up failing my classes. DH works weekends and he says we can make it work. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I feel he has no idea how this baby will flip everything. I think I will go and see if at least a couple of these classes are offered online. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 1:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I got pregnant my 2nd semester in college, during the spring semester. I got pregnant in Feb and was due in November. Hubby and I decided we wanted to move back home to be around our families, and I was done with the semester first part of May and Hubby graduated college in June. So we moved back home and I transfered to the community college in our home town and took all online classes for the fall semester since I was due in Nov. It worked out GREAT. All of my professors worked with me and were extremely understanding. It worked out very well and I went right back for the Spring semester in January and I'm still goig strong and will be graduating in 2011.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had my baby while I was in nursing school. I was only able to take a week off. Luckily I have a great family that helped me. I talked to my teachers too and they were very understanding when I came into class late a couple of times. Its hard, but totally worth it.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 1:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If you're due in November you"ll only have a month or so of school left, then you will have a nice break. I think it is totally doable.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Thank you ladies. I wasn't sure if I'd get any feedback, so thank you.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes I had my son during finals week! I was due November 23rd but he arrived December 2nd. My proffesors were warned ahead of time so they were fine with it. I even signed up for spring classes when he was a few weeks old and graduated in May! It's hard but totally doable and worth it!
    Mep291

Answer by Mep291 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Just like the others said, let your professors know in time.

I'm a senior, currently 9 months pregnant and was due to graduate this Fall 2009. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed. and was due to student teach, but I pushed it back a semester because of timing. The baby's due at the end of July and the Fall semester starts in August.

I crunched 18 credits this past Spring and am currently taking 9 this summer semester. Even though it was tiring, I'm glad I got through it.

If I were you, try taking online classes if possible. I'd take one to two, depending on what type of course it is. Try taking some easy requirements and just let your professors know your situation. I've told all of mine that I was expecting and worked with me whenever I missed an assignment deadline or w/e

Doing something for yourself (persuing your education) will help you feel good and like you're progressing towards your own goals.
    vanessa5470

Answer by vanessa5470 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had Ella in November, right after midterms. I did online classes. I ended up having a much longer recovery, so it didn't go as well for me, and I wish I hadn't taken so many credits. My profs were really helpful and let me take a couple incompletes to finish.

I wouldn't do it again though. lol
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 11:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had my son in November, 2008. I took a week off of school and returned in time to finish and take exams. My instructor was very understanding and emailed me all the info I needed for the week I was gone. The hardest part was not studying or doing homework with a newborn, since they sleep alot during the day. It was leaving my newborn baby to go to class for four hours at a time. I was breastfeeding so that was the most challenging (pumping and worried about him taking the bottle). Everything worked out and I still got excellent grades for that term. Good luck, you can do it!
    mom2TAJ

Answer by mom2TAJ at 8:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2009