Food stamps and WIC???

If a family gets food stamps, do you think they should be able to get WIC as well? If they count the baby as a person in consideration of the amount of food stamps they get, shouldn't a portion of their food stamp money go towards paying for formula? I'm not talking about families that receive only $200 or so. I'm talking about families that receive $400 + in food stamps a month. Wouldn't cutting back on people receiving the two help with the deficit a little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• you can buy formula with food stamps, you can buy almost anythign with food stamps, energy drinks, candy, chips, pizzas....

and it wouldnt help beucase the money comes from 2 different places...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 1:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Can you buy formula with fs? I thought that the welfare office refered people to WIC for assistance for formula???
    Anonymous

• I don't think u can get formula on food stamps. I could be wrong bc I don't get it, but I dont think you can.
    Anonymous

• You can't. The reason why WIC handles that is so that people can't buy formula and then turn around and sell it to get cash. WIC insures that there really is an infant in the home that uses formula.
    Anonymous

• OP here-if that's the case then that makes sense. I have never received so I'm not sure of the process but they should be able to....that'd be dumb if they can't.
    Anonymous

• I stopped going to my WIC appointments when we were approved for food stamps and my child was no longer using formula. I felt guilty about getting all that milk and cheese.
    Anonymous

• No it wouldn't help because the funding comes from two different places.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Anon :10 that doesn't make sense though b/c they can turn around and sell the cans of formula as well
    Anonymous

• You can buy any crap you want to eat with fs. Wic is certain food items that ensure low to moderate income children get decent nutrition. It's another safety net. The funding is different, and pa is not our major problem.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I dont have EBT, but I have WIC and I went to the store today to get my son his formula. He is on Enfamil AR for his reflux. Four tiny cans wouldve cost me nearly 60 dollars. For a household of 3 (like mine) and with my income, I probably wouldnt qualify for more than 200$ worth of food stamps a month. BTW, he goes through about 9 cans a month. So, technically- half of that EBT would be going towards formula alone. No, I dont think that WIC and EBT should be merged.
    Anonymous