Clothing vs Sex Offender ?

I'm really curious - I've seen several ladies make statements about how they won't allow their daughter to wear this or that because they worry about what some pedophile/pervert is thinking. (not just today)

Now, if you check the statics; Alaska (one of the coldest states) has the highest average of forcible rape. Two sometimes three times the rates of other (warmer) states.

I'm curious how you feel making sure your daughter is covered from neck to knees is going to 'keep them safer'. I don't imgaine a lot of bathing suits or hootchie shorts being worn in AK. This is an honest question; I am really trying to understand the logic in your line of thinking...

To me a person that could do those things to another has more issues than clothes are going to stop. I can teach my girls how to be safe; but I won't let the perverts win by walking around in a burka either...which is what it sounds like some are suggesting...

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its not freezing cold all year round up there.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let my child out in "slutty" clothing simply bc I think it is inappropriate. I do not think it has any correlation with predators. Some people may feel this is "tempting" the predator but I honestly do not believe any type of clothing will make a difference to those type of people.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I don't think it's so much that they think it will protect them better than another way of dressing. I think it's more like trying to not tempt them. Kind of like how if you have a friend coming over that just loves Oreos and is on a diet, you put the Oreos up in the pantry so your friend doesn't see them and is tempted. By making sure their daughter is dressed more conservatively, no, it may not protect them from a sick person, but it's also not going to give that sick person a view of everything the girl's got and make them even more tempted to go after her. I'm not sure if I made sense here, I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure if I'm saying it right.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Anon - avg temps in the summer being in the mid 50's-60's is not exactly what I would consider shorts and bathing suit weather...how often are people in AK wearing things other than long pants and full shirts?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Emuu - that makes sense...

tropicalmama - I understand what you're trying to say; however my POV is if someone is going to think those things or be tempted they will be regardless of what the woman/child is wearing...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I get what you're saying, beachmama, and I do agree with you. I also can see, though, that when it comes to protecting our kids, sometimes logic goes out the window b/c we just want to do whatever we can to protect them. I have boys, so I am very lucky that I don't have to make those kinds of choices, since boys clothes tend to be pretty straightforward and cover everything. I think it's also a matter of they figure why make it easier for the perv to hurt their child. The more clothing that the perv has to fight with, the better chance that either he'll give up or someone will catch him before he can hurt the child. I don't know that that's the case, but I can easily see people thinking that way.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Rape is about control not sex (usually). Pedophilia is about the innocent body and form and is sexual (usually).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• it's still safer then to flaunt your little girl booty around. have you thought about how that makes young biys feel and how that may effect your baby girl getting knocked up cause she dressed to impress and show off goodies that young boys want. please your husband or bf like when you dress sexy and you know it's cause it tuirn them on the same is true for little girls and little boys. it's all about sexuality and rape can occur due to it. be it from the boy next door or your perv next door. also as for alaska there has to be one state that has the highest and i doubt just cause it's cold up there most of the yr doesn't mean it's due to what people are wearing. this happen every where and the best way to prevent a lot of it is to no thave your children wearing or flauting their booty. i often times wonder when my little 3 yr old is in her suit if there are any sicko's out there looking at her.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I just don't understand why anyone would want to give the pedophiles more ammunition, so to speak, by letting their little girl walk around half naked. When my husband's niece was about 5 or 6 years old, she was taking dance lessons, and some creep called up my SIL one day and told her how "hot" K looked in the dance recital and how he really wanted to "f***" her! She never did find out who it was. The pervs are out there folks, and with cameras being on most cell phones, do you really want some creep taking a picture of your daughter wearing next to nothing, and then getting his jollies from it, and even worse, posting it all over the internet? Why make it easier for the pervs to get their kicks by letting your little girl dress like a tramp? Why does a little girl NEED to show off her body?
    Anonymous

• You never know what may turn them on; maybe it's not how they are dressed but their hair or their laugh or their innocence and vulnerability. How do you protect them from that?
    Anonymous