what does labor feel like?

I am 18 years old and 31 weeks pregnant with a boy. I am really scared. I see shows and all the women are screaming and in alot of pain. and the are much old so I was wondering if me being young was going to hurt worst then that?

LovinMyNewborn

Asked by LovinMyNewborn at 1:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think labor is going to hurt regardless. There are alot of different options available to keep you as comfortable as possible. With my first son I went into slow labor on my own, and they gave me Pitocin around 7 am to speed it up a little. I got an epidural at 10:30 a.m. and fell asleep, then they woke me up 3 hours later to give me a catheter and I was fully dialated, didn't feel a thing when I gave birth.

My second son, the epi wore off before it was time to even push. I felt EVERYTHING, and it didn't feel no where near as bad as I had expected it to. The pressure I felt from getting the epi was worst that labor I thought.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• no labor feels the same. when i went in labor i had cramps in my stomach not bad cramps tho , cramps in the upper part of my legs near my vagina , my back kinda was hurting it had cramps in the lower part and i couldnt sleep the next morning i got checked and they said i was going to have the baby.
    wildcatsgurl06

Answer by wildcatsgurl06 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Watch some natural birth and waterbirth videos on youtube. TV is TELEVISION and television lives for drama. I am working on my first, but I can tell you that I've seen tons of videos. NOT every woman screams, NOT every woman is in extreme pain, NOT every woman is hooked up to machines, ivs, monitors, or is forced on her back. There are many, many, many women who give birth calmly. Some dont' have any pain at all. Others say there was pain but nothing that couldn't be handled and it certainly was nothing like TV. Still others say that their particular labor was excrutiating for whatever reason, and yet another was not. Join a NATURAL pregnancy group. Age has nothing to do with it. Every woman i've spoken to who had smooth labors said it was the lack of fear and apprehension and confidience that was the key factor.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I had major cramping, but it felt good to push and relieve the pressure. I think the worse part was the burning sensation from all the stretching, but it didn't last too long. By the time you have your baby in your arms you'll forget about everything.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• no, i dont think it will matter. i was 17 when i had my first baby, i didnt feel anything except some light cramping till i was at 7 cm then it went to my back and i had really painful back contractions. the epidural is awesome at that point..lol. everyone is different though.. wishing u the bet of luck mama, i am also 31 weeks..
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Oh, it was pretty horrible. But...you have to realize that all of this is subjective. SOme ppl. think it's the worst pain in the world, others don't think it's that bad at all. For me, it was pretty bad. The thing is, the pain is all in your uterus and it's not like you can work out your uterus to prepare. You're either going to be good at handling the pain or your not and there are meds for that anyway. Just remember that the wimpiest women on the planet have given birth and they've survived! You will, too.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Labor hurts regardless of your age. I have 4 children and while all of my labors were different, they all hurt. With my first I had back labor which feels like a horrible backache. All of my others were "regular" cramp-like pains. This may sound crass but, it really feels like you are going to have a ridiculous case of diaherrea, but you CANNOT push until they say it's OK! It really feels good to finally push. It's important to push effectively, because then you won't have to push so many times. Try to get your thighs as close up to your chest as you can and have your partner (or the nurse or who ever) push your feet towards you with a bit of force (if that makes any sense!) All of my babies were 4 pushes or less and they were all good sized (over 8 1/2 lbs!) And when it's over and you are holding you brand new lil bundle, you can't even remember. Honestly, you really won't! Best of luck!
    TeigansMom0505

Answer by TeigansMom0505 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Labor was INTENSE but wasn't really that painful to me. The only time it was painful to me this past time was the ONE time I laid down on the bed. The key to labor is learning how to relax. Learning out to let go. Don't just lay down...move however you need to move to make labor good for you. I suggest the book Hypnobirthing and Birthing from Within. It really worked well for me.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 2:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• QUOTE: "but you CANNOT push until they say it's OK! It really feels good to finally push. It's important to push effectively, because then you won't have to push so many times. "

That's NOT true. You can push whenever you have the urge to. You are made for birth. Don't let them make you push for 10 counts (purple pushing). This is exhausting and can break blood vessels in your face. If you have an epidural (though I don't reccommend because there are side effects) make sure its a 'walking epidural' so you can move around.

QUOTE: "Try to get your thighs as close up to your chest as you can and have your partner (or the nurse or who ever) push your feet towards you with a bit of force."

Birthing on the back is the WORST position to birth in. It narrows the pelvis, increases chances of tearing, makes it hard to breath, and goes AGAINST gravity. Not good for the majority of women unless they WANT to lie dow
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• dear lord amilee! Seriously I didn't read the other posters and wish I had. Because I would have said the same thing! Amilee is completely right. Purple pushing is NOT good. Your body will push the baby out WITHOUT your help. You don't even have to actively try to push. Once your body starts there is NO stopping it! It happened with each of my labors.

And the best pushing position for me was kneeling. I was on my knees. I caught my baby myself. Just reached down as she slid right out. my knees were no where near my chest!!! LOL
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2009