Are you doing what you went to school to do?

Just curious? I only went to Community College with no major, so i'm not doing what I went for, because I didn't know what I was going for at the time..lol.

My DH went to school for Chemical Engineering. He is one of the smartest people I know. He is a manager of a nightclub. He has now been out of school for 7 years. It's going to be HARD to get a job in his field I assume.

I want to go back to school, just no idea for what.

StifflersMom82

Asked by StifflersMom82 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I went to college to be a nurse (just a community college) but now I own my business of selling antique books. Lol ya i know.. what a jump. Sometimes people find out that their degree is not what they wanted originally or maybe they can make more money at a different job. Its not that uncommon!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• almost! i graduated with a BA in communications. the closest job I had to fit my career choice was being a csr for directv. and I had an interview to be a dj on a radio station but didnt get the job. other than that i've been working in retail. for a little over a year i've been a sahm. so I feel like my degree is washed down the drain. I've worked hard to update my resume, but cant seem to find any good jobs in this little town. but i'm hoping I'll be in the right place, right time and get a good job down the road. preferably by the time my son is in school, but my then it might be too late, since I graduated from college way back in '03
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• well I don't graduate till May, so I can't speak for the future, but I sure hope I go into what I'm getting my degree for. I'm graduating with my bachelors in Special Education and then going back in the fall for my masters in early childhood special education. I plan to work with medically fragile birth- 3 year olds when I graduate with my masters and thats been my dream job since I was literally 12 years old. I may cry if I've worked this long for that job and then end up doing something else, but I guess things can change, we never know what the future holds.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I have a degree in psychology. Once I graduated I went all over applying to jobs. I couldn't get anything. I have worked at my current job for 10 years and it is in the field of child support, so it is pretty close to psychology. I try and apply it everywhere I can, but for the most part is the business of collection.
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yep! I went to be a teacher and I is one!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• ^^^^^...hopefully not an english teacher, lol... (just a joke i know you were being sarcastic)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• No, I have my degree in PR but I'm a teacher.
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Nope. I have a BA in Religion and Middle Eastern History. I am a jewelery designer and quilter. The closest I get to using my degree these days is teaching Hebrew/religious school (which I don't like doing) and being a translator for my family when we visit Israel.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I was about 4 upperlevel classes short of a degree in political science, when all my friends that were graduating couldn't get jobs with that degree. So I ended up adding a second major in environmental science, and I do have a job in that field.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I plan to be as soon as my boys are in school.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2009