I thought the law in Texas was grandparents have NO rights, til now.

So in talking to one of my husbands good friends that has a similar situation with her mom. She told me about her worries about if anything ever happened to her and her husband(Divorce/Death) that her mom could sue for the custody of her 6month old who she's never met. His friends hasn't seen or spoken to her mom in 6 years, but has tried to do any little thing just to spite them.

Is this true?

Do they have the rights in Texas law to sue for rights of their grandchildren?

Even if it is just divorce and the parents are still fully capable of taking care of the grandchild without any help?

Also, how do you go about getting an adult adoption done?

Does that cost?

(sorry, I can't look because my brother thought it would be funny to lock my computer to only being able to axcess acouple of sites. (stupid gaming sites) But he forgot about CM)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• oh yes there are grandparents rights in tx my grandmother headed grandparents rights in the San Antonio area years ago
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If a grandparent does not have any sort of established relationship with the child, he/she has NO case for grandparents rights. That's as far as a DIVORCE.

If you don't want your inlaws to take custody of your child the case of your untimely death, make your wished known in an IRON-CLAD WILL. Make sure you designate a person you want to take custody of the child. Otherwise the inlaws CAN take the child into their custody.
    Anonymous

• Grandparents rights are not and never will be equal to parental rights. She might be able to sue for visitation rights, but wouldn't be able to sue for custody unless she could prove the natural parents unfit. It that were the case, Child service's would more then likely step in and SELL the baby to adoption under the "Adoption and safe families act of 1997" signed by Bill Clinton.
    When looking at a custody case, the judge looks into who the primary care giver is, the relationship between "adult" in this case and child, and that sort of thing. I don't think grandma stands a chance.
    If she's worried about what will happen when she dies, she need to write a will.
    Anonymous

• So they can't sue for custody but they can for visitation? What if they've never met the child like ever?

And it's not my in laws I'm worried about, It's my own mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2009