Will putting a washing machine and dryer in storage for 1 - 2 years harm the washer and dryer?

smilintoday

Asked by smilintoday at 1:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't do it. The fittings and hoses would deteriorate. Sell the machines and buy fresh when you need them.

Answer by Bmat at 1:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I agree. Unless the storage unit has a control for humidity levels (I have never seen one) then the moisture could damage the computer components of the newer models. We had ours in the damp basement and it fried the computer on the front loader washer. It would have cost us $700 to replace plus labor, not much less than what we paid for it brand new! It was no longer under warranty so we had to buy a whole new one. I wouldn't take the risk, plus the pain of moving it and paying the storage fee.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If the storage facilities are climate controlled. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• Based on the climate controlled storage facility we used 7 years ago when we were moving from our condo to our home (sold the condo before our home was built), we paid $130 per month. IF you plan on storing your washer & dryer in a similar unit you would be paying over $3000 and HOPING it still worked!

When we bought our Maytag front loading washer/dryer 7 years ago we spent $2100 (including delivery and set up plus a 3 year protection plan agreement)!!

I think you're better off, selling the set you have if you have no use for it, and either put the money aside for a new set in a year or two, or something else.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Letting things set isn't A Great idea!! Unless you have no choice to!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You are better off selling them than paying the storage fees.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2009