How do you feel about the troop pull-out in Iraq?

"U.S. troops pulled out of Baghdad on Monday, triggering jubilation among Iraqis hopeful that foreign military occupation is ending six years after the invasion to depose Saddam Hussein.---U.S. combat troops must pull out of Iraq's urban centers by midnight on Tuesday under a bilateral security pact that also requires all troops to leave the country by 2012."

Do you feel like this is a positive step for Pres. Obama (fulfilling promises regarding military standings)?

Will this have a positive outcome for Iraqis or will there government fall into a similar regime as Saadams?

*Lets be civil and supportive of our troops please, ladies.

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately the US did a lot of things that prolonged the insurgency. Recently I did some interviews with Iraqi nationals who now live in the US and help to train American troops. A common theme was that US troops inadvertently encouraged insurgency by violating cultural standards. In other words, they pissed people off unintentionally.

Some direct quotes from those interviews: "Both sides were getting killed for no reason, you know. Because it’s a different culture, different things. "

"They have to know the cultures and about the religion, everything like small things, because in Iraq it’s gonna be big things."

Wearing shoes in a mosque, a male soldier searching a female Iraqi, breaking up family groups on the street; all of these things were cited as "big things."

The revised cultural training seems to have helped. Some will always resent Americans, but our being there won't change that.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• i think its good, we shouldnt have been in iraq anyways, its about time, now we can do what we went to the region to do. the iraq war was pointless. . .
    Anonymous

• It's going to be seen as an act of cowardice by the terrorists. They've already said so. We haven't finished what was started, and until that's done, they shouldn't come back (yes, I have family over there, so don't start with that, they,as I,believe this is a very bad thing!). Terrorists WILL (notice I said WILL not MIGHT) strike here in America again,and you can bet your bottom dollar,this time will make 9/11 look like a girl scout campfire. God help us all. But,with a coward for a "president",what can we expect?
    Anonymous

• I think it's about time. Too many of our troops have died in a senseless war. Now we can focus on Afghanistan and N. Korea.. the REAL threats we should have taken care of after 9/11.
    Anonymous

• I have prayed for this for a long time, I have picketed,my husband has been interviewed photographed about the truth in Iraq. We have posters all over our house from the bring troops home campaign.

I'm happy, thanks for posting

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/3737654.html?com_full=1

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am hoping that the Iraq police and soldiers are indeed up to the challenge of controlling the criminals who would like another chance at taking over neighborhoods / towns and setting up their gang fiefdoms for extorting money from the locals.

It is wonderful that we are keeping 130,000 troops IN Iraq, just having them based outside of population centers - except for the military guys who are still working with training and logistics for the Iraqi forces.

I bet our guys are also jubilant to be out of the line of fire (although if their info shows that peace is going to disintegrate, then I'm sure they are NOT happy to be pulling out, because most of these guys are very committed to the well-being of the people they have worked so hard to protect - especially the women they are so proud to have liberated)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes, I'm more than glad that they are pulling out. We had no business being there in the first place and have only caused devastation to the country and hurt the Iraqi people (no to mention how many of our own citizens have been killed). It is their country and what happens there is their business--it was never our business to bring democracy to the country--that was Bush & Co.'s agenda and it wasn't the least bit about the people. We did them no favor ousting Saddam Hussein. As much as the Gov. and the media propagandasized him being such a bad person--he controlled the situation in his country in the manner that the people understood and respected. Bottom line is that Iraq is worse off today than it was.
    Anonymous

• I heard on HLN this morning that they were sending troops back in..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I am very happy about it. It's about time.

I don't buy the idea that we were safer because we had troops in Iraq. If we are safer at all, it is because of the crackdowns on security, not because we had military in Iraq...

Now we can concentrate on Afganistan and we might actually have a leg to stand on when talking to NK. As it is right now, they know that we couldn't do anything to them, as we were tied up in 2 different wars.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Not all of our troops were good little guys, there was some inappropriate behavior such as rape and unnecessary torture. I beleive out of frustration for the whole thing, so its good really.
    Anonymous