Why does my husband have to go to court over this traffic ticket??

My husband and I were involved in an accident serveral weeks ago. We stopped at an intersection of a major highway and when we got to the median we were struck on the front of our car by a motorcycle. We immediately thought they were coming down the highway and we pulled out in front of them. Witnesses say they ran the stop sign coming from the other side and hit us. We were issued a ticket a few days later for failure to yeild. The accident reports says we pulled out in front of them. So we were just going to pay the ticket to get it over with but they would not let us. They handed us a stack of papers saying we needed to appear in court. I do not understand what is going on. My husband was driving he can go to jail or anything for this can he?? FYI the other people were injured but they are okay now.

joelsmommy

Asked by joelsmommy at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, you say right here that you pulled out in front of them. That's all I'm going to say about this, b/c my parents and a lot of my friends ride motorcycles, and I get sick of people pulling out in front of them and then blaming the person on the motorcycle, and I don't want to accuse you. But you say here that you pulled out in front of them, and if that's the case, you were wrong.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I just want to know why in the world they would not let us just pay the ticket..why would they make us go to court?? What is going to happen?
    joelsmommy

Answer by joelsmommy at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I wonder if they are going to file a lawsuit against you? I'm not sure. If the other people were injured than maybe you automatically have to go to court?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Possible lawsuit
    Anonymous

• My friend was in an injury accident, she was at fault and there was no court proceedings, she just paid the ticket and her insurance rates went up. Things also vary from state to state and this was in Michigan, so it could just be your state law that any injury accident goes to court, but my gut feeling is a lawsuit is in the near future.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• A possible lawsuit, charges for bodily injury. I know many people that ride motorcycles and you cannot just pull out in front of them, it takes them longer to stop. Don't ever assume someone is doing something and just pull out, especially a motorcycle.

Try calling the police department that issued the ticket and find out why you have to appear in court and can't just pay the ticket. Sometimes by going to court, the ticket can be lowered, less points taken or dismissed all together. Consulting an attorney may not be a bad idea either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2009