breastfeeding question

My DD is 7 months old now. When i feed her on my left the breast will start out firm and then eventually get very soft, like it is empty. But my right one will start out firm, and only get a little softer no matter how much or how long she sucks. What is going on? Is my milk drying up on that side?

Rebekahs_Mommy

Asked by Rebekahs_Mommy at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt that your milk is drying up only on one side. I suggest calling a lactation consultant. They know far more about the mechanics. It could be completely normal. She might just do better on one side - my kids always preferred my left breast. If that side is tender or hurts at all it might be a plugged duct or two. As long as she is satisfied and you are comfy, I wouldn't worry too much.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• How your breast feel mean nothing. Your LO may be active nursing more on one side than the other.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• you probably have a different number of milk ducts in each breast. so you get different amounts of milk. iom the same way.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Not drying up. It's normal. We're not symmetrical beings.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• If it is staying hard, it may be that you have a blocked duct, so the amount of milk that you normally get out of it is being blocked. When you look at your nipple, can you see any pinpoint-sized white dots? If you hand express milk, can you tell that there is an area where milk isn't coming out the way you'd expect it to?

Alas, our breasts do not get firm once our milk has dried up. Quite the opposite!

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009