Too Early? Or is it logical to request drugs (Provera, Chlomid)?

I've been off the pill since April 9. I had my normal (week-off-the-pill) period April 13-16. I used ovulation strips for two weeks in between, and then on CD38, AF appeared. It was horrible, heavy, and I thought I would die. The night day it was very light, and on the third day, it was no where to be found. That was May 20-21.

I'm now on CD41 and nothing. No signs of AF. I thought I had a positive ovulation strip on June 10, but there's been no AF to show up since then.

I've taken at least 10 HPTs in the past two weeks - all negative.

I truly don't think I'm ovulating.

I was on the pill for 10 years, but before that, I was extremely irregular (like 3 periods a year). It looks like I'm back to that point.

So... what to do? I have an appointment on Thursday. I'm going to get her to do a blood test (for pregnancy), check my thyroid, and possibly Chlomid? Any thoughts? I need some thoughts!

CathyJD

Asked by CathyJD at 1:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• They usually want you to try on your own for a year before they'll give you anything.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You're on the right track by going to your doctor to get checked out. The one year rule is for women with no obvious problems (irregular cycles are considered an obvious problem). Because you are having irregular cycles and have a history of irregular cycles the doctor is likely to prescribe Clomid if your blood tests come back all in the normal range, but some doctors may require additional testing or recommend you take birth control pills or progesterone the month before your first round of Clomid to re-set your cycle. If Clomid does not cause you to ovulate, your doctor will likely order additional testing or refer you to a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE). Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Since you were on the pill for so log, I assume that your body is still straightening itself out. I think it is too early for you to start taking medicines, but I would still discuss your concerns with your doctor.
    firefightersgal

Answer by firefightersgal at 2:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yay! She did blood work, and went through my chart, etc. I started Provera today, will do Chlomid 50mg CD5-9 and then start something else (progesterone) on the day of ovulation, throughout. If I don't ovulate in two cycles, we'll up the chlomid dosage. If nothing works in three, she's sending me to an RE. Baby dust this way please!!!
    CathyJD

Answer by CathyJD at 11:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009