Have you heard this song by DMZ and Zara Philips?

"I'm Legit" It's about adoptees wanting to know their roots. Daral McDaniels (DMZ) says adoptees in closed adoption start their stories on chapter two instead of chapter one like non-adopted people. I like the lyric "I'm legit, not illegitimate."

I firmly believe that all triad members should be supporting the adoptees in our lives by demanding that they have the same rights as non adopted people. Link to song below:

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 2:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Adoption

• onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Yes. It's my oldest son's ring tone on his cell phone.
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• You know - this might be almost silly - but I was very sad the day my son's new birth certificate came after his adoption. Of course, I'm thrilled the adoption was finally final. Not only for him but for everyone. It signified so many things but the most important was being out of the system. But something I was SO sad about was his new birth certificate. I was glad to have it but on the other hand I felt like when I read it that I was looking at such lies. I don't even really know how to explain that to most people - but he was NOT a live birth to me - it was my daughter who bore him - doesn't she deserve the respect and place of her name not being removed from his birth certificate?

I know that's not what the post was about completely but I wish there was a different way birth certificates were altered... if that makes sense at all.

There you go - Jamie's idealistic and simple, I guess. LOL
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• AAAMama - I can understand why is was done in say the 50's when they were trying to spare adoptees the "Bastard" lable. But times have changed now and the shame and stigma is less. I don't see what's wrong with an Adoption Certificate.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• AAAMama - I think you made perfect sense and maybe it even hits you harder because of your daughter and having that connection to her and understanding that in the government's ways, she is erased from giving birth to your son.

My son actually has three birth certificates and I hate that. He wasn't born three times. Just once, to me but he has his OBC, his amended birth certificate from when he was adopted at birth and another amended birth certificate from when we adopted him back last year. Though we do find reasons to laugh at the fact he could have his very own file just for all his birth certificates, he gets frustrated too at the fact that he actually has three different documents for his one birth twenty-one years ago.
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 2:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• AAAMama, I also think it's strange to change the names of the parents on the birth certificate. I've thought about how they could be altered differently to mention the legal relationship between the child and his or her new (adoptive) parents. It would need to be on the same document, maybe at the bottom, since the birth certificate is an important piece of identification.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Thanks for this, my birthmother has done nothing but make me feel awful for wanting to know about my ancestry (she claims it's none of my business and I'm crazy for wanting to see photos of who I might look like)!
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 11:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2009