Dog rash, scratching, eating fur away

My dog has recently started scratching himself. At first we thought fleas so bathed and shaved. I think we shaved too close and now he has razor burn. He's got a red splotchy rash all over plus he's still scratching like crazy and has a spot over his tail/butt that he's chewed raw. I'd like to wait for the razor burn to subside before taking him to the vet so they can see the *real* problem areas. In the mean time, does anyone have any good home remedies to stop the scratching? My mom said her vet recommened a benedryl for her dog. I've also heard to use safflour oil in the food to help overall skin condition. Any other tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2009 in Pets

• benedryl is an antihistamine and will work if he/she has allergies...
    to be honest, My chow-chow mix has been having a very similar problem and i would be curious to know if you ever figure out what is wrong with you dog...
    ((my dog is 13yr old, and ive had him since he was a puppy &he's had nearly every problem in the book))
    as of right now? we strongly believe it's a combination of flea's & allergies because we have to give him a flea bath every week, & benedryl (&his itching subsides)

I'd reccomend - UNTIL you take your dog to the vet (but dont wait too long) treat the raser burn, clean it & put like neosporn on it so it can heal and try catching ur dog in the act & make him stop
    -give him benedryl? see if it's allergies (it cant hurt him)

usually when animals do stuff like that near the tail -it might be MANGE??? (look into it)

& take him to the vet soon!!

KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 3:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Have you changed food recently? I personally would go ahead and take him to the vet.
    DiamondTiger

Answer by DiamondTiger at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• it could be a food allergy if you have recently changed his food, or if the company has recently changed ingredients ( a lot of them will do this and not advertise it!). For whatever reason you can try oatmeal baths, or a bath with a charcoal based shampoo. They also have itch relief sprays at most pet stores that you can buy. It also depends on the type of dog: German Shep. mixes, Chows, and some others are prone to skin allergies and irritations that sometimes require steroid shots from the vet to get it fixed. On a funny separate note, I once had a cat that was allergic to cat hair.. and all his hair fell out and he had to have a shot once a month to keep it under control! :O
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• the first thing i thought was mange and i would say take your dog asap, sorry i watch alot of animal cop lol
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• I think its mange too, my dog had it when we first got her and it took a few months to get it under control. Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• I have a steriod spary and an antibiotic to see if that controls it. Didnt' say it was mange though. Just a "hot spot"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Yeah mange needs a perscription from the vet
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2009

• Hot spots, itching and scratching, red skin and hair loss are all symptoms of an allergy. The FIRST thing I would try is to change the food! If you don't see symptoms easing within a few days, try another brand of food. We have an Aussie Shepherd that tolerated any kind of food until 2 years ago when she developed the same symptoms. We changed from Gravy Train to Alpo to Purina and finally found that Iams is the one food she tolerates.

I have heard that you can give dogs Benadryl. Call the vet to find out the dosage. To ease symptoms temporarily you can use oatmeal shampoo; be sure to totally rinse it out. Any soap residue will cause even more irritation.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my aunts austrailan sheperd has the same problem her vet took away any food that had beef and chicken in it and gave her dog cortizone shots...in between shots he gets benydril. also try puppy baths with oatmeal in it this will help sooth the hot spots
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2009

• i got like a liquid band aide stuff for large animals at my local farm store and it works GREAT.. plus human food is HORRIBLE for them and rots there teeth... we only feed red meat to our dogs... and thats barely once a month, they only get that as a treat, they always eat pedigree....
    Anonymous